30 Amp Diode Driver Circuit Suggestions

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Hello,

I have a large 2.2V 30A diode that I need a DC power supply for. From what I have researched, this would be either a constant-current source of some kind, or a dedicated LED driver. I have searched through the Texas Instruments offerings and I think the LM3434 comes closest, but it still only provides 20A continuous.

What I am looking for is suggestions for either a single-controller solution, an alternative method of powering the diode, or maybe a parallel-supply capable LED driver if one is available. I have tried converting a regular buck SMPS to a constant-current supply, but I ended up frying a somewhat expensive board and I would prefer to not go with that option again without more guidance.

Thank you,
Obli

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
If a method of safely coupling them is available, I think using several LM3409's could work.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Sorry, I don't.
Doesn't the LED manufacturer have any suggested drive arrangements?

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It could do, though you'd need a low-resistance current shunt, a voltage reference and a comparator to go with it and you'd have to find a way to interface the comparator output with the voltage-regulator in the link I posted. It would be simpler and probably cheaper to use an off-the-shelf dedicated constant-current LED driver if you can find a suitably rated one.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Would something like this help?
it should work. but your chip (lm3409) does have a high side sensor so the part here wouldn't be as useful there.

it seems to me a far easier route is to go with multiple chips, each rated at lower amps and driving a subset of leds. like 6 leds in serial (<14v), whatever the amperage those leds want.

that way, you are working with much lower current, and the power dissipation on the current sense resistors isn't that much of a concern.

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
How about this for an off-the-shelf solution?
It's very close to my requirements and pretty cheap. How hard would it be to efficiently drop the last ~3 volts? (preferably with some adjustability)

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Clearly an LDO would not be appropriate for such loads, so it sounds like another SMPS would be needed. Kind-of brings us back to the original problem if that is the case.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I can't see anything in the write-up of the item in your post #13 link to suggest it has a constant-current mode (which is what you need for LED driving).

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
I can't see anything in the write-up of the item in your post #13 link to suggest it has a constant-current mode (which is what you need for LED driving).
Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm going to try emailing them about the driver and the possibility of a custom output voltage (they do state that they do customization). I'll post when they give me a response.