3-Way Light Switches

ShopRat59

Joined Nov 27, 2013
I have attached a diagram of what I believe is the "most likely" way an electrician would wire this, given the information you have provided - but I am guessing since you have not provided the detail requested. Electricians typically use the method that allows them to pull the least amount of wire, in my example, by using 14/3 to the fan/light combo and to the second switch a 14/2 from the second 3-way to the light would be eliminated. I provide the diagram only to show how complicated house wiring can be and DO NOT recommend you rewire as shown since, again I am guessing how the current wiring is done.

On a previous post I said there were 6 ways to wire this, but what I should have said are there are 6 ways for the line, fixtures and switches to be arranged, there are definitely more than 6 ways to do it, this page shows 8: https://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm and my diagram would be a ninth! That's why I recommend you use a voltage tester to verify which wire is the line voltage and a continuity tester to determine the actual wire paths.

I never guess with line voltage and strongly recommend you use the kiddie safety cover approach recommended by Gopher T.

Attachments

Last edited: