3-phase SqD panel

watchman

Joined Aug 21, 2013
Will the protection capability of the circuit breakers be degraded in a 480V 3-phase panel, with 480V breakers, if it is installed with a 230V 3-phase feed?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It seems OK from here to use 480 volt breakers on a 230 volt supply. Anybody have any reference material or other evidence that something is wrong with this use?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Breakers operate on current over time, so the voltage should not affect it especially if using lower voltage than the rating.
Remember any equipment converted over to 230v the current will be proportionately higher.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think this is, "Somebody found a free service panel" and they want to know if it will work with 230V 3 phase.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Will the protection capability of the circuit breakers be degraded in a 480V 3-phase panel, with 480V breakers, if it is installed with a 230V 3-phase feed?
'protection capability' sends me directly to the short circuit rating of the OC device, which is spec'd at rated voltage. If you consider that at short circuit currents, your voltage has likely dropped dramatically. Your panel board/service short circuit rating is that of the lowest rated device. In regards to the trip currents, you need a device that will handle the voltage, so you'll be good.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Will it work? Yes...
Will it pass inspection? Not here in TN, you must use a panel with the proper voltage rating. Your mileage may vary....

Edit: You make no mention as to whether it's a Delta or Wye connection, so it may NOT work.

watchman

Joined Aug 21, 2013
As I understand it, a breaker is a thermally-operated switch. Current over time through a conductor at a given voltage generates a given amount of heat. When that heat reaches the "trip" level the switch operates and opens the circuit. Am I incorrect that a breaker designed to trip at 20A @ 480V will not generate the same amount of heat with 20A @ 230V?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Check one of the breakers, it will most likely show you the voltage range for normal operation, it could well be marked 230-480vac.
There is no difference in 20amps across a thermal load detection.
Max.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Check one of the breakers, it will most likely show you the voltage range for normal operation, it could well be marked 230-480vac.
There is no difference in 20amps across a thermal load detection.
Max.
+1.. 20 amps is 20 amps, across a thermal...
Is it a 208 WYE service ( you'll need a neutral bar).
Is it a Delta panel, (has no neutral).
3 phase panels are marked with their voltage/amp ratings, here in TN they must match the applied voltage to pass inspection.

Last edited: