3-input/7-output decoder for a 7 segment display

Raphaello

Joined Aug 23, 2015
Does anyone know how to build a 3-input/7-output decoder? all segments are also in active high. I have been having some serious trouble with this concept, any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Assuming you are looking for a display decoder:

How about a SN7447/8? Study the gate diagram in the datasheet to resolve your questions about the concepts involved.
MC4513B does it in CMOS with active high outputs.

For a 1 of 8 decoder, look at the 74138 and its variants.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Does anyone know how to build a 3-input/7-output decoder? all segments are also in active high. I have been having some serious trouble with this concept, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you talking about 7-segment display (digits 0-9)? If so, then you will need more than 3 inputs to get all 10 possible digits.

Raphaello

Joined Aug 23, 2015
I have to design a 3 input (g0,g1,g2) decoder with a 7 line output (a to g) to link into a 7 segment display. all the segments of the display are activated on active high. and I have to assume that when 6 and 9 are displayed, the system only displays 5 segments not six. (so segment a in 6 is not active and segment d in 9 is not active)

g2 g1 g0 | a b c d e f g | display
0 0 1 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 1
0 0 0 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 7
0 1 0 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 2
0 1 1 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 4
1 0 0 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 5
1 0 1 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 0
1 1 0 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 3
1 1 1 | ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | 6

I just cant figure out how to construct the logic or manipulate the logic of a 4 to 8 decoder. Ive tried to manipulate a 3 to 8 decoder's logic gates but Im trumped

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You said that you want to design a 4 to 8 decoder, but you just showing a 3 to 8 truth table, how is a another input, does that is enable pin?

Raphaello

Joined Aug 23, 2015
You said that you want to design a 4 to 8 decoder, but you just showing a 3 to 8 truth table, how is a another input, does that is enable pin?
I want to build a THREE input to SEVEN output decoder... the truth table above has 7 possible outputs a, b, c, d, e, f, g. The truth table has 3 inputs G0 G1 and G2 (1, 2 an 4 respectively) Is that even possible?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I want to build a THREE input to SEVEN output decoder... the truth table above has 7 possible outputs a, b, c, d, e, f, g. The truth table has 3 inputs G0 G1 and G2 (1, 2 an 4 respectively) Is that even possible?
Your input G0,G1,G2 and the display number didn't like the normal number as :
000 - 0,
001 - 1,
010 - 2
011 - 3
100 - 4
010 - 5
110 - 6
111 - 7

The number what you post is specific of your home work or you setup?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I have to design a 3 input (g0,g1,g2) decoder with a 7 line output (a to g) to link into a 7 segment display. all the segments of the display are activated on active high. and I have to assume that when 6 and 9 are displayed, the system only displays 5 segments not six. (so segment a in 6 is not active and segment d in 9 is not active)

I just cant figure out how to construct the logic or manipulate the logic of a 4 to 8 decoder. Ive tried to manipulate a 3 to 8 decoder's logic gates but Im trumped
Here is the truth table for your customized 7-segment decoder.

Now, are you able to design your decoder circuit using discrete logic TTL/CMOS gates?

TRUTH TABLE.PNG

Allen

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

The first step is to go through row by row and determine whether each question mark needs to be a 0 or a 1. If the segment is supposed to be lit, then it is a 1 since the display segment is active high.

You talk about when 6 and 9 are displayed, but 9 is not one of the values you can display.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I though that may be if doing the truth table would get him start thinking why are the "1" and "0" are there. If he didn't understand he would start asking questions and me or someone else would slowly guide him. But after seeing post #9, that should give him the "ah ha" moment.

Allen

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I though that may be if doing the truth table would get him start thinking why are the "1" and "0" are there. If he didn't understand he would start asking questions and me or someone else would slowly guide him. But after seeing post #9, that should give him the "ah ha" moment.

Allen
When you did that, it seems as you already did for him half of his work, since this is a home work, so we can't do too much things for the student, only guiding him.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Think about your circuit. Each of your 7-seg inputs will be HI for exactly one combination of your G inputs and LO for all other combinations.

Is that what you want?

Raphaello

Joined Aug 23, 2015
I assume so, as I am told "the segments of the display a, b, c, d, e, f and g are activated on active -high of the corresponding a, b, c, d, e, f and g input connections" and i can only display one numereric output as i only have one display to work with

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But the whole idea is that as you change the values of the G inputs that the digit that is displayed changes.

You can apply eight different patterns to the G inputs, meaning that you can display eight different digits depending on which pattern is currently being applied.

Once you have the (correct) truth table, focus on each segment as a separate problem.