3 com switch configuration

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I was given a couple of 3 com switches. 1st time working on a switch trying to configure it. one is 10 meg the other is 10/100. i am working with the 10/100 model 3com 3300mm one. nothing i do seems to be conecting.

i used eathernet to a port from console direct to switch port. a serial to eathernet adaptor with a patch cable out to a switch port. serial from pc to com port direct with gender changer. tryed hyperteminal and putty and noething from any of these setups. even useing the specified baud, ETC in the programs. default ip does nothing, did a netstat to try to find IP on it just showed up [::1]:looks like port number. pings but web interface fails.

any idea of what to use to configure it as far as cabling and software. i guess 3 com had a program for configuration, but is no longer availible. will see if i can ping across it later. ports seem ok though i did have to fix the fans, but dout it could have overheated enogh to fail without them. this one has a normal serial type DB9 conection the 10 meg has a similar looking female conection with 15 pin. i have a adaptor from something else that goes from eathernet to the odd 15 pin. but from what i was told serial goes on PC then RJ45 to a switch port. then the som ports are for something else.

also i hered to do serial it had to be a roled or null modem cable to serial to serial. i would think that the gender changer i used would have done that since if it was just direct thered be little use for it.

any tips for doing this apreciated 1st time. only know how switches work, have not got to configuration before now so i'm pretty much a beginer at working with switches.
thanks

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i got into it' turns out that all of the other cabes were wrong. i had to rig uop some sumper wires to go between 2 conections to change the pinout. got in using a defult account and password. configured alot of the settings in it. gave an ip, changed passwords, and some of the variables that give info on the device. made a few v LANS. now i am using it in a small network. still probly going to get the proper cable when i get the chance so i'll have one in my toolbox if i have to do this again. i used hyperterminal to get into it, i also tryed putty using the same settings and it wouldn't work. from what i'v heard hyperterminal is about the most popular for doing this type of work. if your running anything newer than windows XPsp3 then this program is missing, but it can be downloded the one i found though is just an EXE. so you can't actaly install it. just run the file from somewhere you saved it likethe downloads folder.