3 channel RGB LED controller if IR

Danno72

Joined Feb 5, 2009
Hi

I'm looking to build a 3 channel RGB led PWM dimmer that can be controlled via IR using an all in one remote that currently runs the home theatre set up.

I want to be able to set a macro on the remote to dim all three RGB channels to a set point, probably by IR signal receive timing, ie the longer IR is received the brightness ramps 100% to 0 and back to 100% cycle.

I already have a RGB controller that could be used presumably placing the PWM dimmer on the output side of the RGB controller?

I'm fairly new to electronics but have a good electrical background. I intend to build it on a vero or similar.

If my current RGB controller cant be used then I have found a 555 circuit on this board that I'll use.

Thanks for your input guys

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Could you give some information on the RGB controller, no. of inputs and requirements. How many channels on the remote? With dimming controled by IR beam on time,loss of signal would result in dim pannel??
Maybe something like model airplane radio control using IR, 4 or more channels allowing one each for R, G, B for individual control. Loss of signal and panel stays at it's last setting.

Danno72

Joined Feb 5, 2009
The controller I have is a PIC based card that runs on a 12v input with 3 channel output common cathode. It already has programmed sequences that are nice, but I just require a slow colour change in normal use.

Heres the link to the one I bought http://bigclive.com/rgbcont.htm

I dont really need the funky colour change sequences. I reckon that the dim level could be at a set point, so when the all-in-one remote control macro calls for DVD play-selects AV input-selects TV channel etc it will dim to say 30% brightness. When it receives a DVD stop command it returns to 100% brightness, but all the time keeping the rgb colour fade.

If its getting complicated then I may just use a single colour led strip.