3 button rf remote

seesoe

Joined Dec 7, 2008
hello, im working on a 3 button rf remote control system, that will control 3 solenoid valves.

i found this page and i would like to build it, however i need to build 6 of these systems and the project is already getting expensive. i couldn't find a good price for the RLP434A and TLP434A that they use.

i did find this though, could i just swap them? or would i have to make changes to the schematics? if so what kind? im not sure how to calculate all that kind of stuff:confused:

also here is the solenoids that the receiver will be switching (im 80% sure i saw they had 6v versions too). the receiver shows that after the led i can connect a 5v relay, but i don't really want to use relays for the whole thing. couldn't i run the 6v solenoids directly instead of the relays? or would i need some sort of transistor setup? if so how?

thank you for any feedback!
seesoe

russpatterson

Joined Feb 1, 2010
Have you seen this product? http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8602

You have to source 400mA to turn on those solenoids. The output pins on your pic will only source 20mA. So you could use transistors to switch the solenoids. Read up on transistors in the e-books section on this site. I think they call it a common emitter setup. Make sure your transistors will handle more than 400mA. Quick overview: connect the ground of your solenoid to the NPN, BJT transistor (like a 2n2222) collector and then the emitter to ground of your circuit. Put a series resistor between the pic pin and the base (like 10k).

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ahhh, you'll need more base current to saturate the 2n2222 than the uC can provide.
Ib=Ic/10, and since the desired Ic=400mA, Ib needs to be 40mA, or twice what the PIC can source.

You'll probably be better off using a logic level MOSFET to sink current from the solenoid.
An IRLD014 or IRLD024 will easily handle that much current. Digikey.com carries them.

seesoe

Joined Dec 7, 2008
@russpatterson i saw the main site that had those before, but 24 bucks is way to expensive, i need to build 6 pairs of these, and the transmitter isn't going to be used as a fob, and i need it as small as possible

im buying from allied, the only mosfet they have is the irld024, and the cheapest:p

i attached the mosfet version of the schematics, how did i do? would i still need the 10k resistors with the mosfets?

the mosfets could handle 60v at 2.4a max correct? so if i were to use the 12v valves, could i just supply the mosfet's S with 12v like i did in the second schematic?

thanks
seesoe

Attachments

russpatterson

Joined Feb 1, 2010
You're pic can only source 20mA so I think your resistor between your i/o pin and gate needs to be about 150 Ohm. Assuming I've got the diodes in right, you can take a look at this schematic, the MOSFET for the motor control is in the upper right. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fcShHZt2i...TRF5g/s1600/2-12-11+Solar+Board+Schematic.png

Doesn't Allied have a $50 minimum or something or you pay huge for shipping? If you're not worried about performance you can get outdated stuff for really cheap through electronics goldmine and all electronics.

russpatterson

Joined Feb 1, 2010
It could be that I'm not understanding something but the solenoids you posted were 12V. Is the curly inductor looking thing in your schematic the solenoid(s)? I think Pencil's schematic looked closer. Imagine your MOSFET as a switch that's going to interrupt the ground connection of your solenoid. So 12V goes to the positive lead of the solenoid valve; and your circuit's ground to the negative lead (only you put the MOSFET between ground and the negative lead so you can control when current flows through the solenoid and opens it up).

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
Part of this whole confusion is due to the fact that in the original design
(the one being copied), the relay was being triggered by the output
of the uC (microcontroller) going low (sinking, being grounded).
The OP has chosen N-Channel MOSFETS which will require
that the output of the uC to go high (sourcing) to trigger the relay.

It also appears to me (sorry if I am mistaken) that the
OP does not quite understand the operational differences between
the "switching" of a MOSFET as compared to the "switching" of a relay.
If this is the case, keep posting you'll get the help you need.
If this is not the case I hope I did not offend.

Last edited:

seesoe

Joined Dec 7, 2008
@russpatterson, at first i thought i could get my hands on 6v valves, however i talked to the supplier and he confirmed i wouldn't be able to, in this case i will for sure be using the following valves 12vdc at 450ma.

yes the curly inductors are the solenoid valves. haha yes you are correct, allied requires $50 min, im now ordering everything from digikey.

@Pencil, my knowledge with this is very limited, i do understand the relays, but i dont understand MOSFET types.

so your saying the MOSFET selected aren't correct? what would i use then?

im trying to control this solenoid

on a side note, the original circuit being copied; if the pic only supplies 20ma, then they are missing resistor transistor and diode between the uC pin and relay right?

i posted the 12v version of what im working on, what needs to be done from there.
- the 10 resistor before the MOSFET needs to be changed to 150 ohms
- check that the diodes are correctly placed
- figure out the correct MOSFET and setup

thank you for all the help thus far!
seesoe

Attachments

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
so your saying the MOSFET selected aren't correct?
The MOSFETS are O.K.
Operation of uC needs to be altered from original (easy change in program).

on a side note, the original circuit being copied; if the pic only supplies 20ma, then they are missing resistor transistor and diode between the uC pin and relay right?
Maybe their relay drew less than 20mA. The PIC 12f509 can only sink 25mA per I/O pin.
Another theory is that they are driving that poor uC to an early grave
by pushing the outputs beyond recommended limits.

seesoe

Joined Dec 7, 2008
oh ok lol, sorry i didn't see that, i thought it was the same as the original, its flipped because the way we are using the mosfet's?

what do you mean by (operations need to be altered from the program)?
do you mean flip the pin's low/high?

Attachments