3 Bit Synchronous Counter

JamesF97

Joined May 21, 2016
Hey,

I'm having some trouble completing a project. Task1 is to design a 3 bit synchronous counter that counts in a specified sequence. This I have completed.
However, the next stage is to display our student number on a hex display. The task requires us to design a decoding block, using only AND, OR or NOT gates that generates four outputs from my counter in order to display a digit from my student ID for each 3 bit sequence.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
-James

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If I understand you correctly, you have a counter that goes through some sequence (of eight or fewer states) and you need to use that to sequentially display one digit of your student number per state. I'm further assuming that the four outputs of your decoding block are going to drive the hex display and that the hex display takes a 4-bit binary value and does whatever decoding is needed to drive the display. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming, for now, that I've understood things correctly, then the first thing is to create a table of the value of the counter state and the corresponding binary output pattern that the decode needs to generate. Then recognize that this is nothing more than four separate circuits, each of which is producing one of the output bits.