3 axis stepper motor control

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by kripasagar, Sep 29, 2014.

1. kripasagar

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 29, 2014
    hi all, iam doing a project based on motion controll,, i need to rotate a stepper motor to a particular angle, how can i interface to this motor by using a arduino through serial port

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You will need a step/direction drive that receives RS232 or whatever format the Arduino uses.
    I cannot think of one off hand although I believe there are USB controllers made for the hobby CNC crowd.
    There are many stepper controller aimed at Arduino however.
    If 3 axis control, do you intend interpolated control?
    Max.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    According to Google there are 1,260,000 results for "Arduino Stepper Motor", I imagine it's in there somewhere.

Please provide more detail of what you mean by "interface to this motor by using a arduino through serial port"; what is connected to the serial port, what is the role of the Arduino?

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Do you expect your steppers will not step correctly? If you have no reason to believe they will skip steps (caused by binding or overloading) there is no real reason to interface them, just make them step the proper number of steps to make the angle you need.

3D printers have no feed back (interface) system. The movement is trusted as angle of rotation for each step is easily determined and corresponding motion is known.

A stepper motor shield for arduino is about $5 on eBay.

5. kripasagar

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 29, 2014

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Is this a test of some kind or for your own benefit, if the latter you could look at free Mach3 S/W but uses a P.P.
    With Arduino( I am not familiar with it BTW) RS2323 should be no problem, but RS232 does not operate in 'real time' so you would require a drive that possesses some 'intelligence' and converts the packet info to a position and motion rate.
    Very similar to what would be done with one of the data packet systems such as Modbus, which sends information packets serially but requires the slave device to interpret the data packet.
    RS232/RS485 etc is a form of serial transmission, not meant to control a device directly.
    Max.

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    They need to describe what they want in greater detail.

If its just a repeatable (same path over and over again) movement then an arduino/3 stepper drivers is all thats needed. You simply send serial data to it via usb.
    But I suspect thats NOT the intention and more of an "automation/cnc" machine is desired..

If its something more like a CNC machine then a straight up arduino board is NOT really the best choice at all.
    You could look into GRBL.. (grbl shields) based off arduino.
    Or TinyG (but based on personal experience to date I would highly suggest staying away from it unless you enjoy tracing down numerous bugs and being effected by the slightest electrical noise)

My personal preference is smoothie firmware running on a "smoothieboard" or other hardware platform compatible with smoothie. Smoothie allows ethernet has its own webserver and many other cool features.
    The firmware is open source and so is the hardware too but you can buy the smoothieboard or similar.

Then like max suggested you could simply use MACH or LinuxCNC with external stepper drivers if you want more of a PC interface..