3-5 minute timed 110v setup?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Steve Mayfield, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Steve Mayfield

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We recently purchase a store that has quite a few animatronic displays built in the late 90’s. While most are still working, the motors for them are 110v electric motors.

I would like to have a circuit where there is a momentary push button that the public would have access to for each animatronic. When they press the button, the figurine would turn on for a few minutes, and then shut off. Each figurine has a standard 110v plug for power.

Is there something out in the market, or a combination of items that I could make such a timer fairly easily, or am I relegated to having something built by an electrical expert for each figurine?

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Look for time delay relays.

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    @Steve Mayfield
    You could install a motion sensor like used in security lighting. They automatically turn on for 2 to 10 minutes (often adjustable) and then turn off. You may have to test some type of hand-swipe switch and appropriate shielding around the sensor so it does not turn on every time someone walks by. Some work better than others. Mount them in a steelers sealed PVC junction box to keep it safe. Get PVC conduit and threaded PVC adapters to connect them to the junction box.