2nd Order Circuits...quick question

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Yes - presumably the initial inductor current.

Mind you, the question itself lacks clarity in that regard, as nowhere on the schematic is the current I(t) actually annotated.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My guess (and I agree that the problem should have been more explicit) is that the I(0) is the current for the entire circuit, not just the inductor. This is based on it not being subscripted at all, just like the V(0) isn't. Quantities with matching subscripts (including no subscript) are generally matched quantities. As for the direction, the best you can do is to assume the passive sign convention, which has this being the current going from the + terminal of the V(t) indication through the circuit and back out the - terminal.

Under these assumptions (which, while I think they are the best ones to make and most likely the correct one, is still a sad commentary on the person writing the question), what is the initial inductor current?

There is actually one other assumption that must be made and the validity of this one is really suspect -- which could be used as an argument for claiming that the I(0) given really IS specifically the inductor current. But, again, what direction should be assumed for it?