VCER Collector-Emitter Voltage (RBE £ 100W) 70 V
VCEO Collector-Emitter Voltage (IB = 0) 60 V
VEBO Emitter-Base Voltage (IC = 0) 7 V
IC Collector Current 15 A
IB Base Current 7 A
Ptot Total Dissipation at Tc £ 25 oC 115 W
Tstg Storage Temperature -65 to 200 oC
Tj Max. Operating Junction Temperature 200 oC
For PNP types voltage and current values are negative.

but can i use it with 5V level and steering the basis with 5 volt from a pic chip

Last edited by a moderator:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A 2N3055 is a current controlled transistor.
For full saturation you will need a base current of about 0.1 X collector current.
As the pic can only supply about 25 mA , you will not have more than 250 mA at saturation.

What do you want to control with your pic?

Bertus

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Of course, you could add a smaller transistor between the pic and the 2N3055 to provide more base drive, but perhaps a logic-level MOSFET would be neater than using two bipolars like that - and it would drain less current from your supply.

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
hi, thanks for your quick reactions.
I have a project here @ home, for making many many leds in the floor
so that we can see by a power break where we can walk.
i am talking about nearly a 120 leds ( blue ) and about a 45 rgb leds
from the rgb leds will change the colors but everytime the red, green or the blue color will light on the same time, so that will be 3 ports on the chip
the blue leds are sometimes ( max 3 )parallel, sometimes just 1.

so all power will come out a accu (12V) when the power goes down

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello Hedalen,
If you are using a 12v supply (12v lead-acid battery, maybe?) you might use up to three of the blue LEDs in series with a current limiting resistor. If each blue LED needs 20mA current, then 120 LEDs / 3 * 20mA = 800mA total current required.

The RGB LEDs cannot be operated in series, so you will need a current limiting resistor for each R, G, B leg for each display. The resistor for red LED will be a different value than for the green or the blue.

Like Adjuster said, you should consider using logic-level MOSFETs.

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
sorry, but the leds are (max 3) parallel
they have them own 1K resistor and the RGB's are common anode (+)
and so each RGB has 3 resistors.
@ one place in the house comes all the cables ( UTP cat6) together, for mounting on a print with the transistors and the chip(s)

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
ones i wil try to work with pic chips and PWM special for RGB-leds, but i think that is difficult for me, be course it is a new world for me
The big problem will be the time, when 1 color = 0 , 1 = 50 and 1 = 100 percent

Last edited:

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
i keeps the problem
to change from the first color at ≈ 83% to start the next color and at least the third color when the first color is at ≈ 166%

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What is the circuit you are using?
Can you post the circuit diagram?

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
How is the progam made?
You can insert the program using code tags:
Use of CODE tags

Bertus

PS I have moved the thread to the embedded forum.

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
@ Bertus,

at this moment is it not a problem that i will loose 2x 0,7V, because i use 1k resistors so i can use a external power supply up to ≈20V.

@ nickelflipper,

i will try to find out what i can use for proton IDE

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you go to my link on Chapter 10, Transistor Drivers, you will find MOSFETs are much more suited to this application. That particular chapter will describe in detail how to go about it. PICs are a subset of the much larger field of electronics.

Hedalen

Joined Dec 5, 2010
okay, listen

i live in Norway, and it is very expensive to buy here components( 1,50 euro for 1 resistance)
and i have to drive about a 90 km 1 way.

is there a possibility to do something with just some pic chips, some bc547b and some 2n3055???