2kw Power supply

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What's funny is we built them for a living and even we didn't design our own magnetics (we had a design house that did it).
Exactly, I designed and oredered my ~500W tranny for a smps after a month of studying many different papers, just to try if I can make anything out of it that is at least a bit decent.
The build is professional so that I don't have to worry about being electrocuted bacause of faulty insulation and that I can be sure it's made right, even though maybe up to wrong specs.

Building a 50Hz 2kW transformer is not a challange, it is a fire and helath risk.
If you want a challange, build a 5-10W transformer and test it under load. Then if you are still alive you should see the shortcomings of making such thing from scratch and think about building something bigger, like 100W.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Why do you need 2KVA? You can build a 250VA power supply that gives you A LOT of power. Block sells 330VA toroidal trafos that have two windings 35V~ each. If you rectify it, you will get roughly 48V, but only 250VA. You'll need to wire the secondary windings in parallel, though. Now, it you want it to be regulated, you might drop that idea. There is no regulator capable of doing that!

However, if you are new to this, you should try designing a 10W power supply. That's the advice I can give you.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A battery charger like this is basically about as similar to a regulated power supply as a mouse is to an elephant.
Yes, they are different. Very good observation.

They are transformer based and are quite simple electronically. The output is actually around 58 volts DC(because of the battery charging requirements) and the DC has a significant amount of AC riding on it. They were only $200 each, so the price is good if just for the transformer they contain. The weight is around 45 pounds(about 20Kg).

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Thanks everyone,

but i don't want to buy it , i want to made it at home-it is a challenge-. I had the transformer needed and a bridge rectifier for it, but i can't find a regulator that can give me my desired output (48V/40A), so Is there any IC (regulator) can do that ?? if not, Is there any other way ??
Hi ahmelsayed,
You said you "had" the transformer needed and a bridge rectifier for it I think you ment to use the word; have in place of had, so I will assume you have a solution for the transformer and rectifier.

Attached is a possible brute-force solution for the 48 volt regulator part. It is not a practical solution, but I think it would work if you were crazy enough to build it.

For 50Hz power you may need a little more filtering. Keep Vin as low as possible tp mimimize power dissapation in the transistors.

What is the secondary voltage of the transformer output with no-load?
What is the secondary winding resistance? I assumed 25milliohm.

Regards,
Ifixit

Attachments

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Wow, the 2N3773 brought back memories...
Make sure that you include over-current protection...and test it if you dare!
Use liquid cooling...or better yet oil bath...or even vapor-phase

Seriously, it could be accomplished by a phase controlled semi-converter as all the power devices are in one relatively cheap module or pair of doublers & free wheeling diode--the efficiency would be high. Then it would take a husky choke and filter capacitor to do the remainder. I can hear it buzzing now.

What is the application? plating tank?

Last edited: