2D Theatre Project needs newbie help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Howly, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Howly

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Hello,

I'm a part of a theatre/stage project and have a bit of a dilemma. We're building an inner city-type landscape that will be very busy. Signs that light up, lots of objects and colors, moving parts, etc. All made out of 2-dimensional materials like paper, plastic, and cardboard.

In one part of the set we've built a 2-D character and want it's arm to move up and down at a slow, repetitive pace (as if it's waving), but we aren't really sure how to go about it. We have the arm detached, we just need to know what mechanical parts we need exactly to make this work.

Any advice?

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    You just need a basic crank mechanism attached to a slow turning motor. http://www.robives.com/mechanisms/crank
    The attachment to the motor shaft need not be a circular disk. It can just be a short arm. These kinds of devices are frequently used to animate cardboard point of sale displays and operate from batteries.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. Howly

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I'm so glad to hear that this process might be simpler than I thought. Thank you for the quick response! So do you know where I could possibly find/purchase a slow turning motor?

4. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011