250 amp Bat Charger

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
Wolffe,

This charger is at the most basic rudimentary end of the scale - lots of grunt but no finesse at all. If there is no choke, then the transformer regulation is providing a fair bit of 'smoothing' effect at high current. Without voltage regulation of any kind I recommend you check the voltage that is reached at the end of an overnight charge to check it is not higher than battery manufacturer recommendations, and put a timer on the AC. Only for use with large traction batteries that can handle the high recharge and ripple currents - suggest you never use for any other model of lead acid battery.

You will need some margin on the schottky voltage if you go that way - you really should check the peak voltage being applied (use some temporary pn diodes, with an unloaded cap filtered output to give the highest prospective DC), and see if the mains is nominal too.

Ciao, Tim

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
TimRobbins,
Sorry, but I've replied to a thread hijacker who seemed to have issues exactly related to the OP's initial post - which is why I didn't flag it for moderation.

I think that I've solved the hijacker's problem. Perhaps this thread needs to be closed, as the OP has been absent for a long time, and the hijacker's part moved to a new thread with a link to this one, which is what I should've suggested in the first place. I've just made a lot of additional work for our Moderators :( Sorry, guys.