24vdc to 300vdc adjustable regulated converter

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hmmm. I was thinking of capacitors in series. The capacitance does not add, but I think the working voltage does, since each capacitor in a series circuit "sees" half the applied voltage.
In theory, not in the real world. The voltage divides based on leakage current flowing through the caps. When we stacked them, we used a set of resistors alongside to force the voltage to divide.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
bountyhunter,
Thanks for the tip on LM2577. I'm going to experiment with it for various projects. I did get a 300v switcher design with the software, but it requires a custom high frequency transformer.
sgtwookie,
Great info on switchers. A lot of info on transformers.

It appears that to get 300 + volts from HF switchers requires HF ferrite transformers, not just simple inductors (that's what I was originally hoping to use). Is that correct?

The issue I have is I don't know where to get E-core transformer components
to wind-your-own or ready-made in small quantities.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the info.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
bountyhunter,
Thanks for the tip on LM2577. I'm going to experiment with it for various projects. I did get a 300v switcher design with the software, but it requires a custom high frequency transformer.
You could check the references for what companies make the transformers listed in the simple switcher software data base.... they might have a standard item that would work. You might be able to sweet talk them out of a free sample.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It appears that to get 300 + volts from HF switchers requires HF ferrite transformers, not just simple inductors (that's what I was originally hoping to use). Is that correct?
You could build a "straight boost" to 300V but would have to use an external FET which can handle at least 400V ballpark. An IC won't get there, but you could use the IC to drive an external FET and it's pre driver if needed.