24VDC Power Supply

aceinspect

Joined Dec 21, 2009
Hello, I am new here. I have a 24VDC power supply. for some reason when I check with a multi meter I get 48-52 VDC. I am taking the reading across + and - terminals, why is this? Thanks for any help.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Something in the supply is not functioning properly.

Since you have supplied no further information, it will be hard to suggest much more than "it's broken".

Starting with a schematic, or at least a manufacturer and part number or model number would be a great start.

It would be even better if you could supply some clear photos of the inside of the supply.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
If it's an unregulated 'wall wart' style device with just a transformer, rectifier and capacitor it is usual to get a far higher voltage off load.

You should get near 24V when it is loaded to whatever current it is rated for.

On the other hand, if it is supposed to be regulated, it's got a major problem..

JMD

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Something in the supply is not functioning properly.

Since you have supplied no further information, it will be hard to suggest much more than "it's broken".

Starting with a schematic, or at least a manufacturer and part number or model number would be a great start.

It would be even better if you could supply some clear photos of the inside of the supply.
I have some 230VAC -> 14VDC switchmode powersupplies, and the problem with these are, that if there's no load, they make smoke and dies - simply because the voltage rises too much (over 1kV i think.. there's 460V some places, with load attached)