24vdc electrocution!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
And you thought that closing posts here on things like working with mains operated equipment and automotive were getting a little extreme.

In the Electronics Point forum, a thread was just closed because someone figured he was being electrocuted with 24vdc.:eek:
Max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Since that is pretty much impossible except in an open body cavity situation, why close the post? I've seen worse ideas run their term, and I'm still new here.

ak

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Last edited:

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
This was submitted by a guy who purchased his lovely wife a "pocket Taser" for their anniversary.
The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water...
http://www.rense.com/general69/pocket.htm

Thender21

Joined Jun 7, 2015
I have an entire book on this topic.

Yes electric shock and electrocution are different.

Small voltages can cause shock/electrocution. The upper limit while still being contact safe is about 42 volts.

But human skin is like electrical insulation. IIRC it is about 500 ohms.

If it is punctured it is possible for very small voltages to produce enough current to shock or electrocute someone. If it is moist like sweaty or watery it has less resistance and the dynamic changes.

Whats super important for the question of electrocution is the path current takes through the body. And if it passes through the heart. I think it is only a few mA to cause defibrillation.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks DNA for the link, and thanks Max for the post.
What a story, it almost diserves it's own Forum.
Reminds me of my first disassembly of a disposable camera.
I almost issed my pants...........
This guy (who wrote the article) probably got 10,000 times what I got.

How do the "bad guys" fight back, on the Police videos?
It should totally incapaciate them, right?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Death and serious injury in industrial accidents where electricity is involved, the majority by far is cause by flash-over burns, not electrocution.
Max.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm sorry but that is downright wrong. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health:

"Under dry conditions, the resistance offered by the human body may be as high as 100,000 Ohms. Wet or broken skin may drop the body's resistance to 1,000 Ohms," adding that "high-voltage electrical energy quickly breaks down human skin, reducing the human body's resistance to 500 Ohms."

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
This was submitted by a guy who purchased his lovely wife a "pocket Taser" for their anniversary.
The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water...
http://www.rense.com/general69/pocket.htm
In the UK, a taser is considered under law to be a firearm.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
And you thought that closing posts here on things like working with mains operated equipment and automotive were getting a little extreme.

In the Electronics Point forum, a thread was just closed because someone figured he was being electrocuted with 24vdc.:eek:
Max.
When I was younger, there were still a lot of old folk around who believed if you left a light switch on with no bulb in the socket - the electricity escaped into the room.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When I was younger, there were still a lot of old folk around who believed if you left a light switch on with no bulb in the socket - the electricity escaped into the room.
I met one early in my career, I oversaw the wiring of some old gas lit homes, one little old lady was concerned the electricity would leak out of the sockets overnight.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The NFPA79 article 6.4.1.1 defines distribution extra low voltage at a nominal voltage of 30 Vrms or 60 Vdc ripple free for dry locations and 6 Vrms or 15 Vdc in all other cases.
UL standard 508A article 43 (Table 43.1) defines 0-20V peak/ 5A or 20.1-42.4V peak/ 100VA as Low-Voltage Limited Energy circuits.
These do not usually have to conform to any safety standard.
Max.