24vdc electrocution!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MaxHeadRoom, Jun 9, 2015.

  1. MaxHeadRoom

    Thread Starter Expert

    Jul 18, 2013
    10,553
    2,375
    And you thought that closing posts here on things like working with mains operated equipment and automotive were getting a little extreme.

    In the Electronics Point forum, a thread was just closed because someone figured he was being electrocuted with 24vdc.:eek:
    Max.
     
  2. AnalogKid

    Distinguished Member

    Aug 1, 2013
    4,542
    1,251
    Since that is pretty much impossible except in an open body cavity situation, why close the post? I've seen worse ideas run their term, and I'm still new here.

    ak
     
  3. Metalmann

    Active Member

    Dec 8, 2012
    700
    223
    Maybe he was using a catheter......?
     
  4. Hypatia's Protege

    Distinguished Member

    Mar 1, 2015
    2,799
    1,237
    Ok, now that you've got our interest -- How's about a link?:D

    FWIW Many people equate 'electrocution' with (non-lethal) electric shock:rolleyes: --- 'Tho even that would be a 'neat trick' at 24V DC...

    Best Regards
    HP

    EDIT: I think this may be it?:)
    http://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/electric-shock-from-24-volts.274235/
     
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Reloadron likes this.
  5. DNA Robotics

    Member

    Jun 13, 2014
    123
    26
    This was submitted by a guy who purchased his lovely wife a "pocket Taser" for their anniversary.
    The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water...
    http://www.rense.com/general69/pocket.htm
     
    cmartinez and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  6. Brownout

    Well-Known Member

    Jan 10, 2012
    2,375
    998
    Oh, My F** Gaud, that is funny! Tears streaming down my face!
     
  7. cmartinez

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jan 17, 2007
    3,574
    2,543
    Still laughing here too...
     
  8. paulktreg

    Distinguished Member

    Jun 2, 2008
    612
    120
    I'd have probably closed the thread too!

    It wasn't going anywhere?
     
  9. Thender21

    New Member

    Jun 7, 2015
    23
    0
    I have an entire book on this topic.

    Yes electric shock and electrocution are different.

    Small voltages can cause shock/electrocution. The upper limit while still being contact safe is about 42 volts.

    But human skin is like electrical insulation. IIRC it is about 500 ohms.

    If it is punctured it is possible for very small voltages to produce enough current to shock or electrocute someone. If it is moist like sweaty or watery it has less resistance and the dynamic changes.

    Whats super important for the question of electrocution is the path current takes through the body. And if it passes through the heart. I think it is only a few mA to cause defibrillation.
     
  10. Gdrumm

    Distinguished Member

    Aug 29, 2008
    684
    36
    Thanks DNA for the link, and thanks Max for the post.
    What a story, it almost diserves it's own Forum.
    Reminds me of my first disassembly of a disposable camera.
    I almost issed my pants...........
    This guy (who wrote the article) probably got 10,000 times what I got.

    How do the "bad guys" fight back, on the Police videos?
    It should totally incapaciate them, right?
     
  11. DerStrom8

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2011
    2,428
    1,328
    Try 1000x that :D
     
  12. Thender21

    New Member

    Jun 7, 2015
    23
    0
  13. MaxHeadRoom

    Thread Starter Expert

    Jul 18, 2013
    10,553
    2,375
    Death and serious injury in industrial accidents where electricity is involved, the majority by far is cause by flash-over burns, not electrocution.
    Max.
     
  14. DerStrom8

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2011
    2,428
    1,328
    I'm sorry but that is downright wrong. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health:

     
  15. DerStrom8

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2011
    2,428
    1,328
    Also note that the document you posted, @Thender21 , is 12 years old.
     
  16. ian field

    Distinguished Member

    Oct 27, 2012
    4,415
    784
    In the UK, a taser is considered under law to be a firearm.
     
  17. ian field

    Distinguished Member

    Oct 27, 2012
    4,415
    784
    When I was younger, there were still a lot of old folk around who believed if you left a light switch on with no bulb in the socket - the electricity escaped into the room.
     
  18. MaxHeadRoom

    Thread Starter Expert

    Jul 18, 2013
    10,553
    2,375
    I met one early in my career, I oversaw the wiring of some old gas lit homes, one little old lady was concerned the electricity would leak out of the sockets overnight.
    Max.
     
  19. Thender21

    New Member

    Jun 7, 2015
    23
    0
    I have the handbook of electrical shock hazards at home and it is dedicated to the subject c 2005 i think second edition
     
  20. MaxHeadRoom

    Thread Starter Expert

    Jul 18, 2013
    10,553
    2,375
    The NFPA79 article 6.4.1.1 defines distribution extra low voltage at a nominal voltage of 30 Vrms or 60 Vdc ripple free for dry locations and 6 Vrms or 15 Vdc in all other cases.
    UL standard 508A article 43 (Table 43.1) defines 0-20V peak/ 5A or 20.1-42.4V peak/ 100VA as Low-Voltage Limited Energy circuits.
    These do not usually have to conform to any safety standard.
    Max.
     
Loading...