24VDC/30A Motor Controller

AndersonA

Joined Dec 28, 2015
Hello,
I am working in a Capstone Design project group at Wright State University. We have taken on the responsibility of building up an electric road vehicle. We are currently using a 24VDC battery and have been provided a DC brushed motor rated for 30A. Since all of the students in this group are Mechanical Engineering students, we don't have a wide knowledge base regarding circuitry and motor controllers.

Unfortunately, we cannot just buy a motor controller, as per competition rules.
We need to build a circuit on our own, but have no idea what schematics will work effectively.
If anyone has any schematics they have used/designed, we'd greatly appreciate any help that we can get.

Thank you for your time. If I have excluded any information that is necessary for this post, please let me know.

Note: We would prefer to use a PWM system to increase our efficiency. However, anything that would work is better than what we currently have.

Thanks again!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you want electronic reversing then you will need a full wave PWM bridge.
Otherwise you would need to do it with a relay etc.
There are quite a few PWM DC motor controllers if using Google.
Max.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Dont overlook that the PWM source can be a $4 Arduino. You can write code for it that does graceful acceleration, de-acceleration, coasting, regen braking, etc....