24v to 12v

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hi,

I have a solar power battery bank connect series to 24vdc. At battery terminal, I connect a 12V DC-DC converter( specs: input 24vdc, 1.65A and 12v oput, 2A).
My question is if I connect the load ( about 1000W) at battery terminal, how does my DC -DC converter affect? does it smoke?
Thanks

ken

you really cannot do that in anyway as per the computation showed, there are just only two things will happen, you will feel your DC-DC converter getting hot until it explode if the packaging is not strong enough or you will damage your battery.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
If you connect your 1000 Watt load directly to the battery, and not to the output of the DC-DC converter, then your converter will only be affected if the battery voltage drops, or, its ability to supply enough current is exceeded.

If this is an automotive application, where an alternator is also charging the battery at the same time, then DISCONNECTING the 1000-Watt load might cause a "load dump" voltage spike to occur. In that case, I would recommend that you protect the DC-DC converter's input with a transient voltage suppression (TVS) device or circuit, probably one of the TVS diode - type devices (basically an avalanche diode, or several in parallel depending on their ratings).

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
You should route your battery power out to a fused power panel. Pulling too much current from a battery bank for too long may cause them to violently vent (or worse). For your safety, please visit http://www.freesunpower.com and look at some of their example systems to help you figure out how much current you can draw from the type of batteries you have.