24V Motor Controller - Bass Boat Trolling

DRock

Joined May 7, 2011
Hey everyone, I have a 24V motor controller from an Izip scooter and I currently have it wired up to run my trolling motor. I have it all hooked up and the motor is not spinning and the low battery light is flashing, obviously since it is only getting 12V since the trolling motor is 12V.

I am using a 12V DC battery going into the controller, then I wired in a potentiometer, and then I have 12V going out to a DPDT switch I have wired to reverse my polarity.

Nothing smoked when I connected the power which leads me to believe I have everything wired up correctly but the motor doesn't turn. I am not sure if there is a fail safe built in so that once it drops below a certain voltage it cuts all function...which would mean this controller might not work with my setup.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these controllers and if there is a way to use it with my setup, possibly by "tricking" it to think it is getting more voltage? And also, what value potentiometer should I use for the pwm motor controller? I have a 25ohm and 100k ohm pot but have no idea which one I should actually use.

Thanks for any and all help!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...what value potentiometer should I use for the pwm motor controller? I have a 25ohm and 100k ohm pot but have no idea which one I should actually use.
Doesn't the controller you have already provide a dial? I don't understand why you need any additional pot. Maybe if you could post some data regarding the controller.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Unfortunately your link to the controller returns no tech data when the tabs are clicked. Honestly though, if it was made for a 24V system it's doubtful that it will work properly on 12V. I also saw an in-line fuse in the photo. Are you sure you didn't blow it?

DRock

Joined May 7, 2011
Thought so, any way to "trick" it or possibly use this controller? I would hate to buy a new one but I might have to.

Thanks.

pistnbroke

Joined May 9, 2011
I have the 86 ib 24 v trolling motor and run it on 12v ..have tweeked the blades so it runs 25 A ( 300watts) and I get about 3 kts If I go to 24 v and 1250 watts I get 4 kts .....hence double my battery capacity @ 12v seems to be my best option and I can still use the twist grip for speed variation and reverse. Would prefer wires direct to the motor in a large gauge to improve efficiency

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Perhaps replacing the relays with 12V ones would be a start, but you would have to get inside the box.

XK-022C - Technical Parameters

Rated Voltage - 24 Volts
Rated Current - 30 Amps
Rated Motor - ≤ 600 Watts
Under Voltage Protection - 20.5 Volts +/- 0.5 Volts

Under Voltage Protection

When battery voltage falls to a specified
value, the controller cuts off battery output
preventing over discharge and extending
battery life. (The cutoff value is
approximately 20.5 volts +/- 0.5 volts.)
Power Cut Off During Braking

When underway the brake switch signals the controller to cut the battery output.

Given the Under Voltage Protection and the 24V relays(assumption) I think you would
be in for a lot of work converting this over.

Last edited: