240VAC To 60VDC 300W Solution?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by gbmhunter, Jul 8, 2011.

1. gbmhunter

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for converting 240VAC mains to 60VDC for a homemade 48V LiFePO4 charger. I'm hoping for an output power of 300W or more.

I know a decent amount about embedded design and general electronics, but not so much about power electronics and transformers.

From what I can gather, there are a few practical ways of doing this.
    1. 4:1 Transformer -> Rectifier -> Cap Filter
    2. Rectifier -> SM Circuitry -> Some Kind Of Transformer -> Cap Filter
    3. Rectifier -> Some fancy power correction stuff -> Some Kind Of Transformer

I am guessing that the switch-mode circuitry reduces the size of the transformer and capacitors (compared to first choice). The third seems quite complicated...

I scoured the web for suppliers for transformers as to point me in the right direction, but it didn't really help (Digi-Key had about 750 power transformers but they didn't really seem suitable, then again I don't exactly know what I doing here...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. ifixit

Distinguished Member

Nov 20, 2008
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I second that, just buy an "off the shelf" 300W SMPS.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You can put identical transformers in parallel. I say this because it is hard to find the right 300 watt transformer for sale.

6. gbmhunter

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2011
    O.K so the general consensus is 'don't make one unless you have to'. I did find a schematic of one on the internet that had been reverse engineered, quite complex...