24 volt led modded to a 12 volt?

mfrnfyg

Joined Sep 2, 2015
I came across a few of these 24 volt strip lights.
I wanna use them with my 12 volt battery pack, but don't wanna run any batteries in series.
I've posted a couple pictures of the lights and the circuitry. Is there anyway to modify these lights to make them a 12 volt?

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It would help if you provided a part number and/or traced the connections and posted a schematic.

Another alternative is to buy or build a 12V to 24V step up regulator.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
The short answer is no; you must provide 24V. The LEDs are groups of 5 per section and have built-in current regulating circuitry. It would be less expensive in time and money to buy 12V strips or a 12V to 24V boost converter than to modify the existing strips.

The long answer is yes, but you'll lose the use of 2 or 3 LEDs in each section or have them running dimly.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Those are not your standard 20 ma LEDS. The strip is populated with inductors, capacitors, and controllers. You can't just add a resistance and fix that. Feed it what it wants or start over with different light strips.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The LEDS look similar to Piranhas, which several years ago were using around 75mA current.

Your DL14 looks like it is mangled. That portion needs to be repaired before power is applied.

As mentioned, it would be easier to purchase a pre-made boost module than try to mod the existing boards.

You may just wind up salvaging what LEDS you can off the boards and scrapping the rest.

mfrnfyg

Joined Sep 2, 2015
Thabk for all the replies.
Seems like a lot of work.
I think I'm gonna scrap the idea and just get some 12 volt led's instead.