24 volt delay relay question.

projectboats

Joined Dec 9, 2016
Gentlemen:
I have an application question. This may not be the correct forum and I apologize in advance if that's the case.http://www.amazon.com/GEREE-1-Channel-Relay-Module-switch/dp/B00PS4H362

I wish to power a 24 vdc relay momentarily then have the device continue to supply 24vdc for another 10-20 seconds before opening the circuit.
The load is approximately 15 amps @ 24vdc. (an electric marine head)
I thought I had the solution with this relay (link below)

www.amazon.com/GEREE-1-Channel-Relay-Module-switch/dp/B00PS4H362

Sadly, it would only work with power applied continuously. This was a $9 item, so no great loss but frustrating.
My question: Is there a similar "off the shelf" option or possibly a simple (very simple) addition to this relay that would solve my problem?
Thanks,
Duncan

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
For any relay to keep switched on it will need power.
This one will do the job. You would have to connect the 24V to it all the time, but you can connect a 24V brief trigger signal to initiate the time period. It will also handle up to 30A.

projectboats

Joined Dec 9, 2016
For any relay to keep switched on it will need power.
This one will do the job. You would have to connect the 24V to it all the time, but you can connect a 24V brief trigger signal to initiate the time period. It will also handle up to 30A.
Thanks Albert,
When your referred to "this one will do the job" did you mean the relay I purchased or different one?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I think us imperialists may need some luck and if you are in the very large colony then you may need some starting on January 20th next.
Merry Christmas and a lucky new year to you.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I wish to power a 24 vdc relay momentarily then have the device continue to supply 24vdc for another 10-20 seconds before opening the circuit.
The load is approximately 15 amps @ 24vdc. (an electric marine head)
I thought I had the solution with this relay (link below)
It sounds to me like you want a "One Shot" timer relay. Matter of fact a Google of one shot timer relay should bring up many to choose from. You would for example momentarily push a button (a trigger) and the timer would energize a circuit for a given period of time, in your case 10 to 20 seconds. Since you have a 24 VDC 15 Amp load I would use a small one shot relay timer to drive a decent 24 VDC coil automotive relay relay. I suggest that as they are inexpensive and will handle 15 to 20 Amp currents with no problem. Something like this as the timing relay and then let it drive an automotive relay with a 24 VDC coil something like this.

Ron