24 hour services needed ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Why cann't every gas be open 24hours ?

You can fully automize the pumps so WTF
Almost got trapped traveling to vermont all the 24 hour gas stations where closed and they even said 24 hours .

What I propose is all gas stations be open 24 hours or automize it.
Or at least have a centralize place that every gas station guy has to call in when he is closing. And then a number like 411 maybe say 611 so somebody can get the closest gas stations open by then for traveling.
This would improve on traveling.

The gps that I use don't have the feature to tell you if the fuel places are open :) arrrhh
Almost ran out of gas

Also if one could generalize this to any 24 hour needed services that is not always reliable like an emergency room :)
At least then people would know enough not to try.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Do you not have unmanned gas stations in USA?
Not that I am aware of or at least they are not open beyond 11:00 usually

SO moral I learned is gas up between 7:00am to 11:00pm

but I think they should come up with this services
hell everbody likes work so that would provide more things to do

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
One more nail in the coffin for Mathy's "I live in America" facade. In the 12 years I've been driving, I can only think of one old-style pump that did not have "pay at the pump" credit card service.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why cann't every gas be open 24hours ?

You can fully automize the pumps so WTF
Almost got trapped traveling to vermont all the 24 hour gas stations where closed and they even said 24 hours .

What I propose is all gas stations be open 24 hours or automize it.
Or at least have a centralize place that every gas station guy has to call in when he is closing. And then a number like 411 maybe say 611 so somebody can get the closest gas stations open by then for traveling.
This would improve on traveling.

The gps that I use don't have the feature to tell you if the fuel places are open :) arrrhh
Almost ran out of gas

Also if one could generalize this to any 24 hour needed services that is not always reliable like an emergency room :)
At least then people would know enough not to try.

Many of them just leave the CC machines on the pump active and close the store. Did you try them? Or just drive up and see it was dark and keep going. I got into a similar situation in N Florida in between GA and Gainsville. Didn't notice my gas light come on and had to make it to the next exit on fumes. Thankfully the store was closed but the pumps were on. Just be glad your not in Delaware, your legally not allowed to pump your own gas there. I hate the idea of it but can only imagine the jobs it would create. Last time in FL someone pumped my gas they checked the oil and tires. It was 1984.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Just be glad your not in Delaware, your legally not allowed to pump your own gas there. I hate the idea of it but can only imagine the jobs it would create.
When did delaware go to manned pumps? I remember New Jersey having it, but I haven't been back that way in over a decade.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do you not have unmanned gas stations in USA?
Lots of stations for commercial vehicles. None that I know for private vehicles.

I believe this station in Pavia. Italy was unmanned. I have been by it several times and I have never seen anyone there. If anything, it has to be the smallest gas station in the world. :)

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Joe Jester ,for real New Jersey has manned pumps..can you find any pictures of that

or more information. It sounds strange,people have been self pumping in U.S.

for a long time.

P.s. googled- N.J. law,you are correct. Is there a union involved.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Loose,

I don't know. I stopped for gas once after visiting my aunt and started to get out of the car to pump my gas, and was stopped.

I'm originally from Delaware and I can remember pumping gas there for a very long time. Not saying it hasn't changed ... I just don't know.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thinging about pumping gas reminded me of "Loose Change" the kind of pay you

would get,or what you would find in the top desk drawer,not money or gun.......

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Here in New York *state* we're allowed to pump our own gas, and that's the business model every station follows. There is one local town that makes it illegal to pump your own, they all have attendants, and all charge a higher price for that service.

I was in Joisey last month, yep, still can't pump your own there, state law.

We drove thru PA to Ohio for the holidays, I always get confused as here in NY you *must* put in a credit card in the pump (or cash inside) before the machine turns on.

In PA and OH they look at you funny if you ask to pay for the gas before you pump it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Paying first is more a function of the service station. If it were a mom/pop rural station, it's likely you pump first and pay inside.

Here in the metroplex, it's card at the pump.