230v mains to 5v MCU compact power solution

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by allahjane, May 19, 2013.

1. allahjane

Thread Starter Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Hey!

I need to supply 5v (100-200Milliamp) down stepped from 230v mains AC to my embedded MCU application that would drive some external components (ex. 4x Sugar cube relays).

I don't want to use transformers due to cost and size reasons. So can someone provide me some advice on a AC-DC down-step circuit using semiconductors only.
    First I thought a big resistor with rectifiers will do but that may be risky,also I need to keep the ripples to minimum or else it may interfere with the MCU operation.

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    For this amount of current, it is usually cheaper to buy than to make it. Not sure which part of the world you're in. But in my place I can easily buy those USB low voltage charger for handphones for less than 3 US$.

Besides we are not allowed to discuss transformer-less power supply from the AC mains. It is against the ToS of this forum.

Allen

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    You can get cheap small SMPS plugpacks (wall-warts) that output regulated +5v DC.