230/240AC to 24DC three phase

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Shultz1e, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Shultz1e

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Hi everyone, New to the forum.. I'm in the fluid power field and need some help with the electrical side of a power unit.

I have a customer with a 5HP 3 phase motor running a press. Customer wants to install a bigger motor (15HP) and add some controls. My Micro controller is rated 9-36vdc max current the controller can handle is 8amps. How can I operate the electric motor with 230AC and also convert AC to DC?
    How do I convert the AC to DC also?
    If further information is required I am all ears! I'm totally ignorant to electrical.
    Thanks!!!

2. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    for the DC side, purchase a power supply rated for your 230VAC input and desired output. 24vdc is a common output for industrial applications. Something like this http://www.meanwell.com/search/nes-200/default.htm

On the motor side, we'll assume you have 240vac 3 phase available. Motor circuits require an overcurrent device on all ungrounded conductors, a suitable disconnect, and overload protection. Throw in properly sized conductors on both branch and feeder, with feeder overcurrent, and you'll see that a qualified electrician is a necessity.