220V to 5V

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by endaya_walatch, Jul 2, 2011.

1. endaya_walatch

endaya_walatch Thread Starter Member

Hi to all,

Can anyone help me to find out the values of the resistor and capacitor as shown on the first page of the attachment.
    This will be use to convert 220V AC to 5V DC.
    Your response is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    Gilbert

Attached Files:

2. ErnieM

ErnieM AAC Fanatic!

Nope, we can't help. First without any values the circuit drawn will blow something up, what specifically blows up depends on the values.

Draw the circuit properly so we get a better feeling you will build it correctly.

Then also tell us what you are driving because the cap value depends on the load current.
  3. SgtWookie

SgtWookie Expert

Well, if we're going to be critical, let's please do so constructively so that learning occurs.

I extracted the schematic from the .pdf file:

[​IMG]

You have a power switch, then a transformer; both good. I would like to see a fuse between the 220v supply and the power switch; that is a safety device to protect you and your project. A 1A fuse rated for at least 220v is sufficient for most hobby-type power supplies.

I'm afraid that you did not connect the full wave bridge correctly.

You have a resistor in there as a load, but you have no form of regulation.

Have a look at the 2nd attachment for a basic 5v regulated supply; not fancy but it will work for low-power loads.

Attached Files: