220V to 110V voltage converter trips on no load start up, 2 tries out of 3

Edmund108

Joined Jul 22, 2016
I am setting up a woodworking shop in the UK, which runs on 220V. I have multiple North American tools rated at 110V which are too expensive to replace. I am using three types of converters which I purchased as a job lot from an American who was repatriating to the US from the UK. See attached images.

1. ELC T-3000 - I have two. They cold start more or less 1 try in 3, tripping the breaker in the other 2 attempts. Turned off for a few minutes (maybe up to an hour as I recall) seems to not affect successful starts thereafter.
2. Simran THG-2000 - I have two. One needs a fuse receptacle replaced inside the body of the transformer, per images. Is this an adventurous consumer replaceable part? Any ideas? The other starts every time.
3. MW2P200 (MW is the manufacturer I believe). I have two. They both start every time.

I have read that voltage surge can trip breakers with these devices, however it is ONLY the ELC-3000 transformers which do so in this case. They are being powered by one breaker at this time, per image attached. I am being careful to not overload the circuit, naturally.

One suggested remedy is to leave the offending transformer permanently on, once it starts successfully. This seems unsafe in principle - ?? Can any kind person suggest a reasonable workaround here, which does not involve a degree in electronics,Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.37.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.37.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.37.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 2.36.05 PM.png or of risk?

Many thanks in advance, Edmund

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Which breaker trips, on the transformer or on your mains distribution panel.
If it is on your distribution panel, and it is the 3kW units which trip it, then I suspect that it is the surge current which the transformers draw causing the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inrush_current

In that case you might use a slower or higher rated breaker but obviously that might be undesirable.
Otherwise you might be able to use some sort of slow start device on the input to the transformer - like a 3kW 'dimmer' (I don't know whether such things are available). Or, again I don't whether suitable devices are available, an NTC thermistor.

Edmund108

Joined Jul 22, 2016
Thanks Albert, It's the breaker panel breaker which trips. Slow start breaker would seem to make sense there. Before I drop the money though, I would like to hold out for anyone who may know for sure how this issue can be resolved??

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What is the input breakers amp rating?

A simple startup inrush current limiter would be to put a higher wattage light bulb in series with the transformer unit with a manual switch that you close that shorts the power across the light bulb to full on a second or so after the transformer has powered up and the bulb dims down.

Edmund108

Joined Jul 22, 2016
Thanks, tcmtech. I believe it's 16 amp, per the image here. Can you explain your suggestion in another way, as I do not see what you have in mind. Perhaps a schematic would be possible, if it's not too much trouble?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thanks, tcmtech. I believe it's 16 amp, per the image here. Can you explain your suggestion in another way, as I do not see what you have in mind. Perhaps a schematic would be possible, if it's not too much trouble?

Live power line --> light bulb --> transformer input lead. Then a switch across the lightbulb that gives the transformer full power by shorting the two wires going in and out of the light bulb together.

I can't make it any simpler.

Baldbrewer

Joined Mar 19, 2021
Hey Edmund,
I'm having the exact same problem with a wood shop, US tools and 3000w transformer in Croatia.

I'm curious how you made out in the end?

Thanks
Matt

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Edmund has not been to the site in more than five years so don't get your hopes up.

Let's wait and see if you receive any helpful comments.