220v 185 Degree thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Juice

Joined Feb 3, 2014
I want to alter a water heater to heat to a higher outlet temp. I want the bottom to remain the same but the top to be able to heat up to at least 185 F when needed. This is obviously not to be used as a regular water heater for just shower purposes. What could i use to remove the upper thermostat and control the upper element only to this degree?. it would be nice if i had a variable control to get the water even hotter/cooler if desired and digital controls would be nice. 220v is what the water heater runs out of now. is there a way to convert to a 110 plug that can upped to 220. I don't think that is possible but if someone knows a way to answer that dumb question, please do. Pretty sure i know the answer... i found a 185 degree temp sensor for a car, but i don't know if that could work with some kind of relay from dc to ac or (and i am hoping there is)if there is an obviously better choice of equipment. this project is going to be great if i can get it to work. Kinda experimental design for something so forgive me if i am vague. I just hope there is a way to do it! Thanks for whatever and please forgive my ignorance to what and where to find components. :) MB

I am thinking of using an oven control circuit, using the thermostat and capillary tube. Does this sound like a good solution. Was thinking i could use the whole ciruit including the digital controls and just using the connection from the oven element and hooking it up to the water heater element and then creating a water tight way to insert the sensing bulb into the water heaters output line. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Water heaters and the electronic devices controlling them are tightly regulated for serious safety reasons. By stating that you are in need of help understanding how they operate, I find myself doubting the wisdom of helping you modify one. Any such modification could potentially create a deadly hazard for people nearby and/or cause major property damage.

Please find something less regulated and dangerous to other people if any homebrew upgrade should malfunction.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
"most" dual element units that I've seen have independent upper and lower element thermostats.. As such you can adjust the upper and lower independently..
But attempting to modify one outside of its included/approved components is a serious NO-NO..

NO way should you need 185deg F..If you do you have other problems..
Most are factory set at 140 and are usually lowered to 120 F for some energy savings..

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
"most" dual element units that I've seen have independent upper and lower element thermostats.. As such you can adjust the upper and lower independently..
But attempting to modify one outside of its included/approved components is a serious NO-NO..

NO way should you need 185deg F..If you do you have other problems..
Most are factory set at 140 and are usually lowered to 120 F for some energy savings..
I agree.

In theory a simple modification. Could use existing parts even.
If qualified for the work, wouldn't have to ask.
In practice there are other fail-safe components that would have to be changed.

Even the cheap plastic dip tube and drain valve might not be happy.

Watch myth busters water heater bomb!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The upper controller is an SPDT switch. Every part of it would have to be replaced with parts you can bet your life on. Too dangerous for me to contribute.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Do you think that someone who did not know that, is qualified to make those changes?:)

Oops again.
The post I was referring to seems deleted.
Good thing I didn't quote...... I'll have to remember that trick.
Sorry!

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The post I was referring to seems deleted.
The moderators call that, "moderating a post". I think it's easier to understand if they just say, "deleting a post". It generally means they don't like it so they killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.