220 volt saw hums

Yanni

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi,
Thought you guys would be able to help me on this.
Why would my 220 volt table saw hum when its plugged in and not running. It is in a newly built shop about 60 feet away from the main house. I noticed this the other day when I went in, so I unplugged it. It was fairly cold (35 degrees) in the unheated building. It runs fine when being used. All the wiring seems to have the right polarity. When I turn on the fluorescent lights they hum also until they warm up , but I know that is normal. I am stumped as to why the saw would hum without even being turned on.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Yanni

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,

Why would my 220 volt table saw hum when its plugged in and not running.
Maybe it doesn't know the words? :D

Or, it may have a low-voltage/magnetic starter. They sometimes hum. It's the transformer. My bandsaw does the same thing since new, which was more then 30 years ago. Sometimes it stops humming. Don't know what causes it to start or stop.

John

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
On the serious side it seems to me like there is a transformer in your saw's electrical system. That would be the source of the hum.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
;) why don't you open up the saw and find out the cause........ if feasible to u that is!

This way we all will cum to know of the electrical components of ur saw and what seems to cause the hum.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If it has a transformer inside then loose laminations or windings of the transformer vibrate due to the applied AC voltage (50/60 Hz) and you hear a hum.