220 to 110 Volt Transformer Question

surfline

Joined Aug 12, 2009
Hi,

There are many commercial 220 to 110 volt transformers to purchase. I'm assuming this is a typical 2:1 step down transformer. If you hooked 110 Volt's to the primary side would it be possible to obtain 55 volts on the secondary side?

I need a 1500+ Wattage 2:1 transformer with a 110 input and anywhere from 30-60V output and the 220 - 110 transformers are much cheaper, so was wondering if I could use them instead?

Thanks,

Surfline

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use one but it has to be twice the required wattage, otherwise its core will saturate and it will fail.

surfline

Joined Aug 12, 2009
We're using lower voltage than generally used at, so wouldn't it be the opposite way around?

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
We're using lower voltage than generally used at, so wouldn't it be the opposite way around?
Yes, you are right but the current will be twice if the rated power is required because the voltage is halved. Therefore, you need a transformer with twice the power rating as to be able to handle this doubled current.

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
As long as the frequency is similar you should be fine. As mike says, just check the kVa rating (that is how transformers are typically rated). If you stay within this, 240VAC or 110VAC doesn't really matter.

The only other downside is that the 240VAC will probably be a bit bigger because of the additional insulation requirements at that voltage, but this should typically be small enough to ignore really.