20 watt laser driver.

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I am wanting to drive a laser module rated at 20 watts 2 volt 10 amp peak. I have decided to use a pc power supply to supply the voltage and possibly an lm317 any suggestions.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I advise you to use a DC-DC converter. The output voltage of 2.7 volts do (0.7 volts + voltage laser). Make the generator current operational amplifier, a powerful MOS transistor. Be sure to take care of the cooling of the laser and the transistor.
The operational amplifier is powered 5 volts.

Last edited:

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I was going to use a couple of power transistors to supply the current and let the lm317 regulate voltage.I could put a few in parallel to share current load.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
From the Wiki

Class IV
Lasers in this class have output powers of more than 500 mW in the beam and may cause severe, permanent damage to eye or skin without being magnified by optics of eye or instrumentation. Diffuse reflections of the laser beam can be hazardous to skin or eye within the Nominal Hazard Zone. Many industrial, scientific, military and medical lasers are in this category. Many handheld lasers ("laser pointers") at this output level are now available in this category.​

Just sayin'

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's a nice converter but I believe you are aiming the wrong way. You don't need controlled voltage, you need controlled current. The controller will voltage to vary slightly - maybe with ±0.5V or less - in order to maintain a fixed current. The intensity of the laser will be proportional to the supplied current.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Offering a dc/dc converter
I suggest using it in conjunction with the current generator.
I did so with a laser power of 1W. Because voltage 4 - 7 volts I did 3 volts.
The current generator consists of an operational amplifier, a power MOSFET,
reference voltage source and a few resistors and capacitors.
I ran the laser power by changing the pulse duty factor (duty cycle).
If you need a fixed power (constant current)
you can convert the voltage source to the current source.
I did it for high power LEDs using chips monitor current.