$20 paypal to design me a PCB layout in CAD...details in thread

chunkmartinez

Joined Jan 6, 2007
sorry for not replying for a while...I am not flaking, I just haven't had my laptop(only computer) with me for a number of days so I couldn't reply. I ordered 2 completed boards/circuits for this project off ebay since it was soo cheap but I still need to learn a PCB cad program so I will update the thread when working on my first board of something...

Thanks for the info on the board size limitations because that is definetly important! If I was still trying to design a PCB for this particular stereo amp I could have used two boards, still, one for each IC(channel)and put the transformer in the middle....which is what I am actually going to do with the ones I recieve.

Anyone know the best program in terms of price - performance ratio? Something that still has a decent library...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm trying to learn DesignSpark PCB. Its free for any size or number of boards. It has almost every component that RS Components sells available to use. And it will do 3D drawings of the finished board for you, if you need that. Kind of like Eagle but a little easier to learn.

http://www.designspark.com/about
I tried installing designsparkPCB once, but they never sent me the #@&%!*& verification link to verify my account. I tried twice, neither time worked.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
For PCB layout programs without cost or restrictions, look at KiCad or FreePCB. Forget all about Eagle unless you like paying money.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
For PCB layout programs without cost or restrictions, look at KiCad or FreePCB. Forget all about Eagle unless you like paying money.
I tried FreePCB once, it's set up horribly and does not have a very good library. I don't recommend it. KiCAD is okay, but does not quite have the functionality of Eagle.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I tried installing designsparkPCB once, but they never sent me the #@&%!*& verification link to verify my account. I tried twice, neither time worked.

That is the only problem they are slow to verify. Took almost a week for me. But you can, and many do, join the forum and post a question there about your verification and it will be done the next business day. They only have one or two people dedicated to the Designspark team, and thousands of people joining.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
That is the only problem they are slow to verify. Took almost a week for me. But you can, and many do, join the forum and post a question there about your verification and it will be done the next business day. They only have one or two people dedicated to the Designspark team, and thousands of people joining.
I've been waiting for about 4 months now. I pretty much gave up. I can't log into the forums because they require an account, and that's what I'm waiting for a verification email for.

Honestly, I've lost all interest in joining or downloading DesignSparkPCB. It's just not worth it for me.

Matt