2 speed off the shelf stepper controller

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Have a 166oz 2.8A .75 ohm Automation Direct Sure Step stepper motor.
Looking for an off the shelf controller. Not sure if one exists to do what I want.. I can roll my own but just looking to see if anyone knows something "off the shelf" that will work. (sub $500 cost)

I basically just need 2 speeds. I just want to turn it on and it goes to "speed 1" then press a button and it goes to "speed 2"
2 potentiometers or something to adjust the speed of each setting.

The stepper is just powering a liquid pump and I just need 2 adjustable speed settings.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The simple way would be to buy any stepper driver suitable for that motor from ebay (that will drive a 2.8A motor), then connect a 555 timer to generate a freq and input that freq into the driver's STEP input. You need to make sure the driver is bipolar or unipolar, to suit your motor type.

You could then control speed by varying the 555 timer oscillator frequency, with two trimpots and a selector switch. Or use a pot and make it fully adjustable in speed.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
yeah I planned on a simple geckodrive and suitable powersupply.

Just found this.. I think this should do exactly what I want.
I believe I can just replace the jumper with a proper "foot switch" and it should do exactly what I want.. foot switch up = speed one, press foot switch and get speed 2 with both speeds adjustable by the single pot.
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/014/

please confirm if that schematic will work.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Well that product seems to be just a 555 timer and a couple of other parts on a PCB, so yes it should work fine.

You can probably solder a couple of parts to a 555 timer in less time that it takes to order that board, but of course it's your call. :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Well that product seems to be just a 555 timer and a couple of other parts on a PCB, so yes it should work fine.

You can probably solder a couple of parts to a 555 timer in less time that it takes to order that board, but of course it's your call. :)
oh.. yes.. I'd be making that myself.. I would have only bought a more "packaged" solution. :cool:

of course today I was checking out some automation direct C mini hmi panels/plcs with step out/etc.. and I might go "fancier".

Its for a mini wave soldering machine I'm building. The stepper controls the solder pump.