2 Pin Crystals.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
What's the fewest number of components to get a 2 pin crystal; oscillating be that 1 hertz or 1 million hertz?... I still for the life of me can't work out what causes the Crystal to do what it does in a circuit? :(

Thanks (My understanding is off not trying to build anything /yet/) thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A crystal looks like several LC circuits, but is much more stable.

By using it with an amplifier to provide feedback you can make a stable oscillator.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
What's the fewest number of components to get a 2 pin crystal; oscillating be that 1 hertz or 1 million hertz?... I still for the life of me can't work out what causes the Crystal to do what it does in a circuit? :(

Thanks (My understanding is off not trying to build anything /yet/) thanks.
About the lowest frequency crystal you'll ever encounter is around 450 KHZ...and they're getting to be pretty hard to find. Such crystals were used as narrow I.F. filters in many post ww2 receivers.

Any crystal works, however, because it is a mechanically resonant circuit; the crystal actually physically vibrates. In the process, it generates electrical currents at the frequency of its mechanical vibration (and also mechanically vibrates when an appropriate frequency current is applied.

Eric

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
About the lowest frequency crystal you'll ever encounter is around 450 KHZ...and they're getting to be pretty hard to find. Such crystals were used as narrow I.F. filters in many post ww2 receivers.

Any crystal works, however, because it is a mechanically resonant circuit; the crystal actually physically vibrates. In the process, it generates electrical currents at the frequency of its mechanical vibration (and also mechanically vibrates when an appropriate frequency current is applied.

Eric
Crystals used in clocks and watches commonly run at 32,768Hz. Although relatively uncommon, other low frequency crystals are available. They are (or were) sometimes made to order for specific equipment, such as supervisory systems for telecommunications systems.

http://www.tfc.co.uk/products/crystals/leaded_crystals/020-002-00_low_freq_xtals.pdf

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The lowest crystals I know are the C2 and C4 series from epson.
Their frequency range is from 20 kHz to about 300 kHz.
See attached datasheet.

Bertus