2 offline smps switches

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pradeeba, Mar 7, 2008.

1. pradeeba

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Hi,
    am planning to use two SMPS switcher IC's. input voltage will be derived from the same point. that is a am going to use fuse,bridge rectifier, input bulk capacitor as common.will ther be any problem in the circuit?

2. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Why do you need two?

3. pradeeba

Feb 27, 2008
    Because i dont want the noise to be coupled to the other section.

4. S_lannan

Jun 20, 2007
    2 controllers is a waste of time in reality.

The majority of the noise is going to be the actual switching of the transistors of mosfets.

Another problem is you will no longer have a isolated supply which is very dangerous :)

5. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    You will probably end up bringing more noise into your system with two, especially if they are running out of sync.

If you want low noise, then use a linear regulator with a carefully matched transformer/rectifier section. If you have a large range of input voltages you wish to accommodate, then use a switching pre-regulator and post-linearily regulate it.

Steve

6. pradeeba

Feb 27, 2008
    i have six outputs. in that two have isolated ground. the problem is the size of the bobbin will be big. for this reason i have to use 2 smps switches

7. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Then make sure that switching is synchronized, otherwise you will have more noise than necessary.

Steve

8. pradeeba

Feb 27, 2008
    Apart from noise, will there be any problem in operation?