2 led timed circuit

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill, Thanks for the info on the 555. Is the rest my parts list I picked up ok? I would like to wire this first on my breadboard to make sure of my connects (lol) because of my limited knowledge. I also caught your note on the SCR but I dont know what type or how to wire and also a variable resistor what type or how to wire. I would like to try these, ( with your help sensai) but Im sure we would have to tweek the schematic Thanks Jim

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bill, I picked up the parts tdy. but I do have a few to check with you. I got all from our local radio shack 1. 555cn Timer IC #276-1723 (has 8 pins but diff conf from your schemaitc and no marks for up dwn)HELP?2. transistor pn2907-Type but no A on the end(PNP)#276-2023. 3.Transistor MPS2222A NPN, #276-2009. 4. LED 5mm red 1.7V 20mA 3000mcd #276-0304. 5. LED 5mm green 2.1V 30mA 630mcd. 6. mini piezo buzzer #273-074A(no sonalert avaible) 3.0-16VDC 4.1kHz 7mA. 7. 1000uF Electrolytic Capacitor # 272-1032. Can I use these with your schematic? thanks again for your help. Jim
The IC is OK.

The transistors are OK, I'd buy the bulk pack.

All the parts look OK to me.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill I wired my breadboard what I think was right , but the red led lights when I supply 9V. then when I hit the time start switch the green led blinks for about .5 seconds then the red led comes back on. HELP Jim
P.S. It seams like I have power before going through the 555? The same thing happens when I pull both switches, the red lights up!

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill, I was wondering if it would be possible to convert your schematic on my project to a breadboard layout with the program you use it would be a great help I have gone over my circuit layout many times and cant find the problem. Can you help me with this? I did see your BB layout on the 555 and I am quite new. Thanks for all your help so far, you have taught me alot. Jim

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When I went to college they referred to this as a protoboard...

Like a baby duck it imprinted forever, but 30+ years later the definitions have changed. Everyone else calls it a breadboard. <sigh>

Most people think of something like this as a protoboard, while I call it a breadboard...

Soooo...

Going with the first drawing as a protoboard, and the second as a breadboard, which is it you're wanting? Either will take a while, and I am currently finishing (I hope) another project that involves driving one of the newer high power LEDs (1 watt), so this will take about two weeks to draw up. The first is easy for me, while the second is probably what you need.

Radio Shack has their own versions, the protoboard (especially the short one) is reasonably priced, but they really aren't meant to build a project forever onto. A breadboard is forever though. Here is the Radio Shack version (keyword PCB)...

Both the Radio Shack versions cost $1.99 each, while the one I showed first is 69¢ from BG Micro. BG has most of the other parts really cheap too, so if you go with them let me know and I'll give you the transistor part numbers also.

However you decide, let me know and I'll work around your parts. You may need to take pictures and post them. If this becomes necessary we'll talk you through it.

Before you are done here you will be familiar with both forums and beginners electronics projects.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill. Sry about the term Breadboard (I am new lol) the 1st. protoboard you show is exactly what I am using 63 X 10 holes. thanks Jim
PS. I paid $14.00 +at RS. lol thats what happens when your new!

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Cool, it is my standard illustration. It is also easy to do, which lets me do it faster. The downside is it isn't meant for a permanent use, so ultimately it will have to be transferred to a breadboard.

I've been doing some redrawing of my standard images. Here are the three newest.

Basically it and my other templates are in my PaintCAD package, which is how I've been drawing schematics.

I'll get back with you when I have a chance.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill, The drawings look great and I do have somewhat of a background in Autocad , but it is in const. Your second protoboard is exactly what I am using for my prototype and I will transfer to a breadboard. Thanks again for your help! Jim

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill, I did find the problem I listed above and got the timer working (somewhat) when I apply 9V the red led lights then I press the start button the timer starts and runs its course and green led lights at the end of timed event the red led comes back on, but the end switch dosen't work. when I checked Q2 the collector is at 1.4 V at max. Is this right? I do understand you are busy with other projects and hate to bother you but I can sure use your help. Thanks Jim

Last edited: