2 broken tv's after I added a new outlet to circuit

adamdeff82

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I added a new receptacle and light switch to an existing circuit. This circuit has the TV on it. The only thing plugged into the new outlet is a lamp with a 7.5w light bulb. After everything was done, I tested the outlet with one of those things you plug in that has three lights, not a multimeter. It showed that everything was good.
I put everything away, came upstairs, and was sitting at the computer when I heard a pop. I thought it was a something that fell over downstairs. I went and checked but everything was ok. When I came back upstairs there was a funny smell coming from the TV, which had been off the whole time. I tried to turn the TV on but only got the green light on the bottom. I checked the fuse inside the TV and it is fine.
I figured that the TV had gone bad and planned on getting a new one. In the mean time I replaced the outlet that the TV was plugged into and got a new surge protector.
Tonight we came home with a new TV, plugged it in, and had it on for about 3 minutes when we heard another pop and the TV went out. I heard another pop about 20 seconds later. Now it won't turn on just like the other one.
I checked the neutral and ground lines with a multimeter and got a reading of 3.5v on the outlet the TV was on. The new outlet i added also showed 3.5.

My questions are:
Is the problem the 3.5v on the ground wire frying the TV?
Did I do something wrong on the new outlet that is messing up the TV?

Notes:
-The TV's were both plugged into surge protectors with the Playstation and Directv box (they still work fine).
-I plugged in an old 27" tube TV and it didn't have any problems.
-The circuit is 15 amp that has 2 lamps and 4 simple ceiling lights on it besides the TV and new outlet.
-Everything worked since I moved in 4 years ago until I put in the new outlet.

My solution is to just remove what I added but would like to keep it if i could.

Thanks for the help, AD.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Check that your outlet is wired correctly (black wire to brass colored screws and white wires to silver screws). The switch-mode power supplies in newer electronics (over about 40 watts) are finicky about outlet connectivity. This is especially true when you are connecting components and TVs together with HDMI cables since they are purely DC and grounds on all the DC components must be at equal grounds vs the white (neutral or common) wire in your mains AC power.

Double check your outlet wiring.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well first off unplug any and everything from this outlet. Do not use it for anything.

I would suspect you somehow wired into a 240VAC supply for your 120VAC outlet. Some equipment is just fine with that. Other devices may pop immediately or after just a few minutes.

One of those glowing light testers can't tell you if the voltage is incorrect, just if it is there.

"Wiring is not a hobby. Call a professional electrician."