1x3 divided by 3x3

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Gentleman, keep in mind I spent hundreds f hungry hours learning to use a compass in the age of GPS. I don't need to he lectured on the importance of understanding theory and the old fashioned way of doing things. If you pay attention to the way I ask this and any other question on this forum, you will notice I ask for guidance and not solutions, and want a direction to search.

I am dissapointed in Wbahns comments, and I ask that they be removed, as well as my reply. They reflect a lack of professionalism and an unfounded, disrespectful personal attack that should not be immortalized on these pages.

Barring moderation, if you remove your comments, Wbahn, I will remove mine.
I've got no problem with them staying -- yours and mine -- and letting people take from them what they will.

You say that you want a direction to search. The problem you were trying to work specifically hinted that Gaussian elimination was the recommended way to go. You don't know how to do Gaussian elimination and, not wanting to learn it, you asked for an easier way. It was pointed out that Gaussian elimination very likely WAS the easiest way and links to material on it were provided. You response was that you can't be bothered make the effort to learn it on your own because you have one poorly written guide on it and so you prefer to wait for someone to come along and teach it to you.

What would your reaction be to a fellow spec ops trainee that had that same attitude when it came to learning how to use that compass?

poopscoop

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I've got no problem with them staying -- yours and mine -- and letting people take from them what they will.

You say that you want a direction to search. The problem you were trying to work specifically hinted that Gaussian elimination was the recommended way to go. You don't know how to do Gaussian elimination and, not wanting to learn it, you asked for an easier way. It was pointed out that Gaussian elimination very likely WAS the easiest way and links to material on it were provided. You response was that you can't be bothered make the effort to learn it on your own because you have one poorly written guide on it and so you prefer to wait for someone to come along and teach it to you.

What would your reaction be to a fellow spec ops trainee that had that same attitude when it came to learning how to use that compass?

It was easier to solve sequential equations than it was to learn Gaussian elimination,and for the purposes of this class it makes no difference which way I solved them as long as I did so manually. I know algebra, I chose to use it until I learn linear algebra. My time is not well spent teaching myself linear algebra, and I do not need you to tell me how to manage my own time.

Your insults were unfounded and not in any way constructive. You were and continue to be disrespectful, and that is not a positive trait in any line of work.

I ask that you behave more professionally towards me in the future, and leave your assumptions at the door. The last 10 posts in this thread have nothing to do with matrices or why you prefer one method over the other.

JoeJester, I was taught celestial navigation but that skill perished long ago.

poopscoop

Joined Dec 12, 2012
...What would your reaction be to a fellow spec ops trainee that had that same attitude when it came to learning how to use that compass?

Im glad you asked. The correct way to handle something like this depends on the nature of the relationship. In my case it would be peer to peer, and would take form of a low key discussion. In the case in this thread its mentor to mentee, and should be done in the manner of teaching a private lecture. The mentor would explain why one method is preferred, perhaps, depending on circumstances, correct the student for not wanting to learn the preferred method before it was in the curriculum, and end on a positive note.

As a teacher you must explain the value of the method, regardless of whether the student understands it. You can never break professionalism nor resort to personal accusations and attacks.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Gentlemen, come down, please.

@poopscoop
The Gaussian elimination isn't that hard at all. Give it an hour and 4-5 examples and you're good to go. It's a more systematic approach.
And, for better or for worse, this is 2014, amidst the information age. You learn stuff by Googling, not teaching. You yourself came here and asked for help, which is nice and all; that's why we are here. Don't put yourself in a corner by saying that you can't be bothered to learn the method everyone suggests.

@WBahn,
There is no need to over-react over a simple phrase. We both know that students from certain other demographics are known to express arrogance and childish behaviour.
I'm sure poopscoop understands why someone who can't use a skill by hand can't expect to master it in a computing environment. But on the other hand, mastering may not be what he is here for.

Both of you, don't make me close this thread, please.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm fine with leaving this side topic alone. And if poopscoop wants to learn Gaussian elimination I am more than willing to help, as are many others around here.