1N400x Breakdown Voltage

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
In the attached 1N4001-1N4007 datasheet, the breakdown voltage (Vzk) is not listed. Am I correct to infer from Figure 4 that Vzk is approximately 120-130% of the Rated Peak Reverse Voltage?

Thanks.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Vzk is likely not tested and thus not given in the data sheet. Normally you should never operate the diode above its Rated Peak Reverse Voltage. Are you planning on operating it above that?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Vzk is likely not tested and thus not given in the data sheet. Normally you should never operate the diode above its Rated Peak Reverse Voltage. Are you planning on operating it above that?
No. It's purely an effort on my part to understand breakdown voltage in the context of p-n junctions.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
But I still want to understand what Figure 4 is telling me. Doesn't it indicate a sudden increase in reverse current at approximately 125% of Vrrm, and isn't that what breakdown voltage is? Or am I misunderstanding something?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But I still want to understand what Figure 4 is telling me. Doesn't it indicate a sudden increase in reverse current at approximately 125% of Vrrm, and isn't that what breakdown voltage is? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Yes, that increase in current shown is the start of the avalanche breakdown. But there likely is a significant unit-to-unit difference in that voltage between different production diodes.