1980s Philips Semiconductors Catalogs Wanted

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Scotophor, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Scotophor

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm looking for data on a particular Philips LED (whose identity I don't yet wish to disclose publicly). Other LEDs in the same family appear in Philips Semiconductors Catalog S8 - Devices for Optoelectronics (1983), but do not appear in Catalog S8a - Light-Emitting Diodes (1986) [nor Catalog S8b - Devices for Optoelectronics (1986), which no longer includes LEDs]. So I'm seeking whichever Philips Semiconductors catalogs include LEDs from 1984 and 1985, presumably S8 or S8a and having either "Optoelectronics" or "Light-Emitting Diodes" in the title. I've searched the internet exhaustively and am unable to find any reference to such catalogs, let alone copies for sale or download. Did Philips skip publication for those two years?

I'll buy reasonably-priced paper catalogs if necessary, but of course free PDF copies would be preferred. If you have such a paper catalog but don't want to sell it or scan the whole thing, contact me by private Conversation so I can narrow down a smaller page range to scan. Expect it to be no more than 30 pages (per catalog if you happen to have both years), probably less.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. recklessrog

May 23, 2013

I can't understand your reluctance to divulge the part number as if its been made available for sale in the past it can hardly be a secret. I have a VERY large collection of semiconductor spec catalogues that go back to the 1960's up to 2005 with several hundred thousand devices listed by part number. I'm more than happy to have a look if you do give me its number but it would be a hell of a job to just troll through without it.

3. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    mrchips on this site also has a large compendium of useful information, it is under "electronics resources"

4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Search "databook" on archive.org - no guarantee, but there's a lot of old data handbooks there.

5. Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
    The part number itself isn't secret of course, but there's a slight possibility that knowledge that it's me looking for it, might lead certain people who know why I want the data to identify it and possibly "scoop" me by acquiring any remaining stocks before I can. Admittedly this is a remote possibility, because I've already done extensive searching for the part number myself without success. Also, the only examples of the parts that I've been able to find so far, have not been identified with the true part number. In several instances, they were not given any part number at all. As far as I can tell, those who have these parts have no idea how rare they are, nor what they were used in that makes them valuable to a small group of people. Of those who know what they were used in, I believe I'm the first to discover the true part number.

Do you have any of the catalogues I mentioned that I desire to see in my first post? If not, I sincerely doubt that you will find the part listed or even cross-referenced in your collection. As far as I can tell it was never a standard production item.

6. Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
    Thanks, I've seen that list and most of those sites already.

Been there, done that too.

The three catalogs named in bold in my first post above, I found in a very obscure site called electronicsandbooks.com. That site is often unresponsive, usually very slow, and poorly laid-out... but it has many .pdf catalogs that you won't find anywhere else online.

7. Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
    Oops, not sites... just a list of data books. Under Philips he lists "Optoelectronics Devices" once, with no year, in a group that includes other data books from 1991 and 1992. With no year given I didn't bother to ask.

8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Ah. You're looking for the LED used by Martin Fleischmann in the 80's to initiate cold fusion. I'm on to you!

9. Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
    Sorry, not cold fusion! It's a bit more of a frivolous pursuit than that. No, not zero-point energy either! :p