1978 Heathkit function generator

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by someonesdad, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    This thing doesn't work. A few years ago I had used the schematic and a DMM to find that it appeared the 15 V regulator chip was bad. A friend sent me a chip, then I stuck the chip and the generator on the shelf and forgot about it, as I have a number of other function generators.

I just came across this thing and thought I'd replace the regulator chip this afternoon. It still doesn't work, so either my troubleshooting was wrong or there's something else broken.

I built this thing from a kit in 1978 and used it for 15-20 years. It might still have some life in it, although the attenuation pot is noisy. If one of you folks want it, you can have it for $20 shipped CONUS. Otherwise, I'm going to toss it, as there's nothing really salvageable except the power transformer and power cord.

Oh, it comes with the instruction manual, which is quite good, as it has the schematic, parts layout on the PC board, and instructions on how to calibrate it with a scope.

When it worked, it put out sine, square, and triangle waves from 1 Hz to 1 MHz. No DC offset. 50 ohm output.

If you want it, send me a PM before May 23, as that's garbage day.

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Take a look at the resistors and values,a member was looking for resistors.
    Count how many and some values and post them or show a picture that
    picks up the colors. Is that to much trouble,it would show a new techique.
    If you built it ,it will have some long lead resistors.What do you think.

P.S. My home town allows the highest per diem.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Resistors are easy. ICs are hard.

4. someonesdad

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Sorry, it's not worth much effort. I just thought someone getting into electronics might like a well-documented tool to troubleshoot and get working. The biggest pain for me is having to box it up and drive a number of miles to the Post Office to mail it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.