1963 Gas Gauge Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bbowles, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbowles

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Hello everyone, I am a bit stuck on a project and need some tips. My skill level is only hobbyist.

The problem:
    The vehicle has a gas gauge from 1963 that moves based on a coil of wire wrapped around a flexible metal strip. As the coil warms the gauge increases. The gauge registers 0 ohms as full and 70 ohms as empty. A new tank and sending unit was installed at some point in it's history. The new sending unit is 200 ohms full and 60 ohms empty.

My proposed solution:
    Use ATTiny13 built in ADC to read the sender and PWM to drive an NPN transistor going to the gauge. I've figured out the ATTiny13 well enough to read a potentiometer with the ADC and control an LED based on the ADC reading with the PWM.

Where I need help:
    The ADC reads the voltage as reference to Vcc (5v), 1024 = 5v and 0=0v. The gauge runs off 5v too. I want to use a voltage divider to read the sending unit's resistance but can't figure out what I need to do to limit the current enough and still have a wide enough range with 60-200ohms.

I imagine the circuit resembling:
    ??? ohms
    + --/\/\/\(fixed)-------ADC
    _ --/\/\/\(sender)----
    60-200 ohms

I can't figure out any resistance configuration that gives me more of a range than 30 on the ADC. Am I on the right track or do I need to figure out a different way to measure the voltage coming from the sender to correspond to the resistance?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nov 30, 2010
    Car projects are forbidden on this site.
  3. bbowles

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    The forum seemed to remove my leading spaces on the |. It is supposed to be on the ADC side.
  4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Sorry, but our Terms of Service don't allow discussion of that topic -
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.