1962 Remington ad

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. My wife had a couple of magazines that were from her mother's house. One of them (a magazine on farming) had the attached ad for the Remington 700 rifle.

I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 22-250 in 1967 and I paid $117 for it, but I got it from a friend of my father's, who got it at a wholesale price from the business he worked at.

I love the marketroid ad copy. However, the checkering was the typical machine checkering that was quite sharp on the hands. I got pissed a few years after owning it and sanded all the checkering off and refinished the stock. Feels a lot better to my hands.

Attachments

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
and the most dangerous. The firing mechinism is faulty in it and simply unloading the gun can cause it to discharge. Many many people have been killed by this. Remington knew about problem from the start but it would cost 12.75 for the gun in stead of 12.35. So they didn't fix it to save 30 cents a gun. 20/20 did a big special on it. Also research it on google and youtube. Numerous lawsuits have been settled over it so no one really knows how many people this rifles killed. I think they finally fixed it in the late 90's. Watch the 20/20 on remington and you'll never fire one again.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I've owned several, and have an eye on several other bores. I've had other makes of firearms, and one (Wentworth) was the ony one that I had bolt problems with. The gun handler is the root cause of misshaps, as any loaded firearm has the potential to fire. If you review some of the counterpoints to the 20/20 report, you'll question the authenticity of the facts.