16F88 serial output at MCLR

sanwa

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Guys... I am stuck here. I am going to have MCLR served as my TX as it is OFF. Well I guess no hardware UART can be used as it is not defined to do so. I really need someone help me on getting the assembly on this as my project near to deadline.

I am using 9600,N,1 connection.
I will try to search for software UART routine online, still... I need help here.
I really really appreciate your help.

Thank You.

Last edited:

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
You are going to have problems configuring MCLR as a Tx since that pin can only work as an input. Also why are you looking for UART routines? The PIC16F88 has a perfectly good UART built-in.
The best thing you could do is read the data sheet.

sanwa

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Oh ya..coz i am too rush just now...
yup..MCLR is only for input...
So I suggest to use OSC2 which is grounded at 1st...
I know uART is built in... but i juz not sure how am i going to implement it...
I knew software UART is needed ....

ANYONE?:(:(:(

Last edited:

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Sit back, relax, read the datasheet and think about the approach and solution of your problem. Then you might have a better chance of finding a working solution in time. Doing thing in a rush usually ends up exactly where you don't want to end up.

And what's wrong with the built in UART? Why do you need software UART?

sanwa

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Sit back, relax, read the datasheet and think about the approach and solution of your problem. Then you might have a better chance of finding a working solution in time. Doing thing in a rush usually ends up exactly where you don't want to end up.

And what's wrong with the built in UART? Why do you need software UART?
As all the port A and B are used up..so i will need to use OSC2 pin as my serial output. However only software is allowed instead of hardware UART...:(

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Sound like its time to upgrade to a bigger PIC with more ports.

Of course if you told us what you are trying to achieve we might be able to suggest ways to cut down on port use.

sanwa

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Well...due to time limits..
i think i must reserve 16F88..
port A as input sensor.. port B to LCD. I know port B can be used only transmitting serially to another device but then is it possible to use OSC2 as hardware UART? Thnaks :D

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
An LCD driver only requires 6 lines (4 data, RS and E) so port B could be arranged to both drive the LCD and communicate via the PIC's internal UART. Its going to be a lot easier than writing your own serial comms routine.