16 LED light chaser

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dan Micu, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Dan Micu

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Using 7805 regulator, 74193 up-down BCD counter and a 74154 4-to-16 line decoder.

bouncing_leds.PNG

bouncing_leds.jpg

Mods Edit :
    Another thread with same subject, please refer to : 16 Jumbo LEDs Light Chaser.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Could you show a pic of the finished product please?

The PCB files would be nice too.

Remember the purpose of this forum is to allow other people to reproduce your project.

This post will self destruct.

3. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I'm not quite finished yet I need to double check my work and footprints .. I also have to add a Power jack connector next to the 5v regulator .. The first version I finished in 2004 when white LEDs first came out and I ordered 50 boards (Mentor Files). This one is done in Cadence and both 5mm LEDs or surface mount can be used .. I've been a PCB designer for over 20 years and know all the files you guys need, ODB++, fab drawing, assembly drawing, BOM list .. I'll include all these in a zip file once I'm confident with the design.

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I think this thread move to the Projects Forum is better, when you completed the whole jobs and send a pm to any moderator then it will be move back, thanks.

5. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I guess it will look something like the previous version :) .. I just ordered 50 ultraviolet LEDs .. I would also like to build a BRIGHT orange version to mount on my bike .. I'll make the new board a little longer and spread out the LEDs farther apart to let you mount JUMBO LEDs .. the 74154 should be able to drive higher current ..
    I totally agree .. I need a few more days to finish the job get all the files ready .. I should be able to publish this job in a week .. 16 LED light chaser (including 10mm jumbo LEDs, or 5mm or 0805SM) .. it is a cool project that I been working on since 2004 .. I will add my email address on the PCB layout :p

6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    It looks like pin 4 of 555 is floating, if so would be better if returned to Vcc.

Dan Micu likes this.
  7. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    You just do as soon as you can, but we won't give you any pressure, and please don't show your Email address, it will bring the email robot to this site and you may also receive the Email Spam.

I was played with an ne555 plus 7493 and 16 leds to be a dot matrix random display, that was my diy toy in the old age about 30 years ago.

Dan Micu likes this.
  8. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    Yep yep .. you're right .. the schematic wasn't quite ready .. I love it when a second pair of eyes checks my work :) .. also there were some other unused pins that needed to be grounded .. I upgraded the LEDs to JUMBO size 10mm which now makes the board twice as long, but it gives you the option to use either or .. also added the power jack .. it's a very elegant layout all traces are on the bottom side jumbo_bouncing_leds.PNG

9. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I have one question .. Do I post a new thread when I complete the project ? .. Perhaps '16 JUMBO LED Light Chaser" ? .. I'm very close, I just need to set-up the films for the artwork and tooling .. I will update the notes in the PDF FAB Drawing :) and make the assembly of the components a little more readable , and attach the schematic as a second sheet .. I can even suggest a few PCB fabricator that will make this PCB .. this is what I have so far ..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    If you completed the job then you can post the new thread on the "The Completed Projects Collection" and insert a link to this thread and also insert a link from this thread to the new forum and pm to any moderator to close this thread, when you see the moderator who online.

If you don't know how to do the link, just say so then the moderator will do for you, thank you.

11. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I'm ordering boards this Friday and also parts for 50 samples, so will take 2 weeks for the parts to get here and prove the design, plus a few more days to get one sample assembled an tweak the 555 timer ..

12. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    Getting m
    The boards are from a Chinese Fabricator at $2.60 a board .. the IC's are from Newark.com, but I still need to shop for passive components and JUMBO LEDS. So far I'm looking at $320 for $50 samples ..

13. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    With out wishing to sound 'the wet blanket' isn't this a great deal work, time and expense for a row of flashing LEDs?!--- what am I missing?:confused:

Sincerely
    HP:)

14. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    jumbo_bouncing_leds.PNG
    Is fun designing it and is fun building it .. just like writing a poem or composing a song .. let's call it a midlife crisis even though is not a Bentley :) .. I added a small trimmer to adjust the speed .. and a slide switch to change direction left - right or just back and forth .. already ordered most of the parts ..

I'm a believer :)
    DM

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  15. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    If it works, It works!:):):)

16. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I decided to swap the outdated DC Jack with a Micro-USB connector for powering up the board .. I bought 10 for 5 bucks, and also bought some 9v battery clips and 50 Jumbo bright blue LEDs and some 1Megs Trimpots for a decent price .. I'm done with the changes to the board .. By the way, can anyone confirm that pin 1 is Vcc on a micro USB type B (5 pins) .. 5 being the GND ..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  17. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
    I should have a working prototype First week of August .. some of the parts I ordered seems they take a month to arrive. Here is the up to date Assembly Notes and Schematic. Also need to get a PayPal account to pay for the 50 boards I ordered. Sorry about the schematic, I had to muck up the symbols for J1 and SW1 since I had no library symbols available .. I just signed up for a one year training Cadence training that includes all the classes. I know everything there is to know about Cadence except on hot to create schematic symbols and manage a library database ..

Best regards,
    DM

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  18. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015

19. Dan Micu

Jun 12, 2015
  20. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012