16 bit up counter

aphocks

Joined Sep 5, 2016
Hello, I am working on a CNC machine and I want to use an up counter with a sensor as an encoder on my motors. I need a 16 bit up counter circuit, and IC, or IC's that can give me a binary number output in 16 bit from a 1 bit input signal from the motor sensor. Any suggestions?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If it is for a CNC machine does the counter not need to be able to count up and down for when the direction changes?
However, the MC14516 will do in either case. You would need four of them cascaded together to make a 16 bit counter.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/76360.pdf?_ga=1.107757058.1295713794.1473099215
AFAICR: there are off the shelf binary counters with an up/down select pin - the TS will need a dual optical sensor like they used in a ball mouse, some basic glue logic will be needed to decode direction from the quadrature signals.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
AFAICR: there are off the shelf binary counters with an up/down select pin - the TS will need a dual optical sensor like they used in a ball mouse, some basic glue logic will be needed to decode direction from the quadrature signals.
Yes, the MC14516 is an up/down counter.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
straight out counters or a mcu.
A counter will require a few chips of glue logic, for a human readable counter display, BCD counters would be better - but I can't remember if there's any up/down types. Beckman used to make decoder driver chips that did hexadecimal, but I've only seen types for driving neon 7-segment displays. They were probably discontinued many years ago.

An MCU would be the more elegant solution - but it depends if the TS wants to get into coding it.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Producing a 16 bit counter output output, either uni- or bi-directional, is not difficult. Most 4-bit counter chip datasheets have schematic for combining multiple chips for a larger count word. What are the destination characteristics for the 16 bit number? Voltage, current, is a display involved, etc? Also, what resets the counter?

ak

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
You say a "one bit" input? this implies you don't care which direction the motor moves, just count pulses either direction?

To actually track the position accurately, you need a quadrature, 2 - channel encoder and an up/down counter.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
You say a "one bit" input? this implies you don't care which direction the motor moves, just count pulses either direction?

To actually track the position accurately, you need a quadrature, 2 - channel encoder and an up/down counter.
I mentioned the dual output sensor for quadrature in post 3.