16-bit Microprocessor

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by kongway, Dec 7, 2007.

1. kongway

Thread Starter Member

Apr 12, 2007
    At the attached circuit, did any one can teach me the application and function about it.

I just know the function of each component, but didn't know the circuit function and it application.

Many thanks....

2. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Really fancy parallel to serial converter

It's taking a ton of I/O and cramming it into one data stream.

I think.

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Whatever it is it strains credulity for you to call it a 16-bit Microprocessor.

4. kongway

Thread Starter Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Actually, the circuit title called it CPU1, but i think that isn't the same as CPU.

5. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Fat chance they will cough up an explanation. Pigs may grow wings first.

7. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    In my schooling we built the baby brother of this: a 4-bit microcontroller that did some very simple stuff (the clock was a debounced pushbutton switch!) so it looks kinda familiar...

First make the whole thing a black box. You have 16 bits of data in (din), a clock line, a reset line, 16 bits of address out, 16 bits of data out, and a read line.

Internally, there are decoders for operational control, decoding logic (the and & or gates), an ALU (ADD16/alu) feeding into and being fed by an accumulator (REG16/ac), an instruction register (REG16/ir), an address register (REG16/ad), a program counter (REG16/pc) and a data register (REG16/dr). (Sounds like a 16-bit micro processor!) The multiplexer (MUX8/busmux) controls what data appears on the data out lines.

--Rich