16 7-segment display with PIC 16F877A

LEOLOGIC

Joined Jul 29, 2010
Hi Friends,

I am trying to drive 16 LED CC 7-segment display with PIC 16F877A through HEF4511 BCD to 7-segment latch/decoder/driver & CD4515 4-to-16 line decoder. RB0,1,2,3 are used for 4511 and RB4,5,6,7 are used for 4515. Can some one help me because I am unable to control the flicker?

Thanks in advance.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Apart from adding more hardware, I can suggest optimizing the code and making sure there is only one change on portB per digit (ie load a variable with the required output, then write that to portb.)
If you could post code that would be helpful.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
May I ask if you happen to know what the display refresh rate is from your software driver? You're driving it at 1/16th duty cycle, correct?

May I ask how you're grouping these displays, please? Is it one big 16 digit display, or two 8 digit displays, or something else?

Mike

Bosparra

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I had similar issues with multiplexing only 4 displays. Playing around with the timing, I eventually settled updating each display every 15ms. But the display is very faint. I suppose it could be improved by increasing the current.

You would have to update each digitALLOT faster, but brightness will be sacrificed, because of the low effective duty cycle supplied to each display. The best duty cycle you will be able to get is 6%. The only remedy is to increase the frequency, but with a PIC you are going to run out of clock cycles FAST.

From where I am sitting, adding more hardware is the only solution, perhaps a dedicated micro controller to power just the display.